Loft extension advice please

AlanG

SMF Poster
First Name
Al
Been thinking of turning my loft into a mancave for many a moons now but my beams are in such a way that i've never seen before. Is it possible to do it by moving the beams (one at a time obviously lol). They come down to the centre of the cottage and there are side supports too. I don't think i need planning permission here in Scotland as it is not going to be used as a bedroom, but i'll obviously check.

Any advice as how to design the new beams layout? Can it be done?

Attachments

yak face

Staff member
First Name
tony
Hard to see from the photo alan but it looks like theyre mono trusses , which means that you cant cut anything out without compromising the integrity of the roof . Even if its rafters , hip and purlin construction the extra bracing has been put there for a reason , builders dont usually like to use more materials than absolutely necessary ! Unfortunately id recommend leaving it as just stash storage space and maybe think about a shed or model room downstairs , hope this helps , cheers tony

Dave S4

SMF Poster
First Name
Dave
In addition to that, perhaps look into getting a conservatory to work in? Since we built ours I hardly model anywhere else. The light is fantastic.
Although it gets warm in the summer, but rising early overcomes that issue.
Good luck. This is a common issue, I suspect.
DS

First Name
Paul
Anything can be done w/enough time & money. I couldn't advise you w/o more info., but my concern w/the construction shown in this very small glimpse, would be the integrity of the side walls more than the roof. I would suggest consulting an engineer before hacking & slashing. It could be as simple as replacing existing joists & braces with smaller, more numerous trusses. PaulE

AlanG

SMF Poster
First Name
Al
Cheers for the replies guys. I know a neighbour has done his loft out (unofficially) but i'd rather have everything done legally and safely. Me thinks i'll save up and get an engineer/builder to have a look at it