Lubricant

A

Awins

What do I use to lubricate the needle and trigger. I am concerned also incase any residual lubricant will mix with the paint and cause problems.
Cheers

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
In theory, any of the parts of an airbrush that may need lubricant are behind the seals so should not have any effect on the paint.
I have heard of people using everything from WD40 to bees wax and even the good old pipe smokers favorite for polishing the bowl of their burles. The 'grease' from the OUTSIDE of your nose. I see you have glasses so you know what it is and where to find it. Yes that annoying stuff that makes your glasses slide down your nose.
Rub your finger and thumb on the nose then rub the needle through them. (If you suffer badly with spectacle slip, a good tip is to wash your nose with chamomile tea.)
Most commercial AB cleaners for acrylic paints have some form of lubricant in them....

D

dubster72

In theory, any of the parts of an airbrush that may need lubricant are behind the seals so should not have any effect on the paint.
I have heard of people using everything from WD40 to bees wax and even the good old pipe smokers favorite for polishing the bowl of their burles. The 'grease' from the OUTSIDE of your nose. I see you have glasses so you know what it is and where to find it. Yes that annoying stuff that makes your glasses slide down your nose.
Rub your finger and thumb on the nose then rub the needle through them. (If you suffer badly with spectacle slip, a good tip is to wash your nose with chamomile tea.)
Most commercial AB cleaners for acrylic paints have some form of lubricant in them....

I think you mean Sebum Ian. Watchmakers also use it to lubricate wheels & cogs.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
WD 40 works for me. I lubricate all the moving parts in the brush with it. It definitely gets in front of the seals as I usually spray a bit through the brush, followed by a blast of thinners to get rid of any residue :smiling3:
I've been doing it for years and have never had a problem with the paint.
Cheers
Steve

F

Fenlander

I am boring, I just use Iwata Superlube. Very tiny amount in the needle nipple before inserting the needle so it carries it down through the seals to keep the needle friction free. I also add a tiny drop onto the base of the trigger before re assembly. Probably only do this every six or eight weeks though. Tiny little tube will last me a lifetime.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I'm with Graham I have used the little iwata dropper and literally a pinhead drop on the needle ( I use a wee drop every half dozen cleans.
I have made my own A/b cleaner which I'm told helps lubricare at same time ( cheap as chips too. ( it works on my A/b and no problems

250ml bottle ( like the tattoo artist use ) find on eBay of Amazon ( cheap too

Ingredients
50ml of windscreen wash ( not concentrate )
100ml of distilled water ( boiled kettle water )
50ml of isopropylene
3 X 5ml spoons of glycerine ( from boots at £1:60 approx )

I've got 4 bottles made up and still got 3 and half left use to clean A/b and with the glycerine in it coats everything and does not taint acrylic paint if rinsed through properly.
I found this tip on You tube and its saves loads than shop bought and lubricates as it cleans.

Hope this helps

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I use Iwata Superlube. That stuff has worked for over 6 years for me now and has never failed. A single tube costs you around $12 AUD and lasts around 5 years. Only a drop is needed. Easily obtainable off ebay

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
i use the iwata super lube , but i am encountering 1 problem and that is the needle sticking to the jet when not using the airbrush fora week or 2 and have started to back the needle off to prevent this is anyone else having this problem ?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
i use the iwata super lube , but i am encountering 1 problem and that is the needle sticking to the jet when not using the airbrush fora week or 2 and have started to back the needle off to prevent this is anyone else having this problem ?

I used to have that problem when I used, briefly, acrylic paints. It seemed to happen despite fairly rigorous cleaning efforts. Like you, I just backed the needle off a little before storing the brush.
Cheers
Steve

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I have had the same experience. It will not damage your airbrush. It is simply the accumulation of thinner and lube etc gathering around the needle and trapping it shut. However, after pulling the needle back, it works as per normal. Maybe you could unscrew the nozzle and wipe the needle THROUGH THE FRONT, not the back as pulling it through the back will drag all of that rubbish through the insides of your airbrush. Also, before an in depth strip adown and clean, I always give the needle a wipe down and clean up the front by taking off the nozzle, pushing it through slightly so all of the tapered end is visible, then cleaning that, then pulling it through the back so none of the rubbish on the needle is carried backwards.
Cheers, John