Battlestar Galactica Viper MkII

B

beav1013

Hey guys. Finally got around to finishing my Viper. Took me about 6 months, the last picture will be proof as to why...

I used Tamiya acrylics for the bulk and testors enamels for the weathering. I tried the hair spray technique in two fazes, once when i did the white fuselage over a gray undercoat for chipping, then again when i did the red stripes. I had mixed results. I need to go back and test various ways of doing the hairspray as sometimes it comes out great and others the paint sitting on the hairspray cracks and kind of bubbles. that can be good for different results, but i'd rather it didn't happen. I used alclad for the engine bits, and used some chalk pastels to create a wash, and for grime streaks/overall dirtiness i used pastel dust.

The base is the same as the one i did for the Viper MkVII, but i painted this one gold and black instead of silver and black since the MkII is older in the show's pantheon.

The little lady there is my daughter, Zoey. She just turned 6 months old. She's awesome. Not into modelling yet, but i'll be working on that.

I hope you like the model. It took me about 6 months to get it done (see above) even though it wasn't that complicated so it feels like a labor of love project for me.

View attachment 50792

View attachment 50793

View attachment 50794

View attachment 50795

View attachment 50796

View attachment 50797

View attachment 50798

View attachment 50799

View attachment 50800

View attachment 50801

View attachment 50802

View attachment 50803

View attachment 50804

View attachment 50805

View attachment 50806

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now that is awesome, love it Jim. Big five budy.

Have fun, John

M

mobear

fantastic viper there,the pilot looks a bit young but hey could be a xylon clone lol

5*s from me also

mobear

P

phalinmegob

looks brilliant mate, love the weathering, i am looking for a lighting kit for mine but can only seem to find one in america.

P

Polux

Fantastic paint work Jim!!

Big 5* from me too!!

I love your space models.

Best regards

Polux

B

beav1013

thanks andrew and ole. i'd love to do a lighting kit on one of my models one day, but i'm pretty sure that would push their completion dates back months... if any one truly deserves it though, it's the cylon raider that just came out. having the red eye go back and forth... that would be sweet.

First Name
Chris
Totally Awsome Jim! Love it, 5 stars from me. Zoey looks very sweet, I'm sure she'll be plastic bashing in no time. My Daughter is 2and a half (and a wee terror) she's not modelling yet but will say 'Spitfire' when any plane goes over (oh the pride)

5 stars fro me

Regards

Chris

B

beav1013

thanks Polux and Chris. I do enjoy my space models, only 2 left in the stash, oh my!! Chris, i'm sure my wife would get a kick out of that. maybe i'll try and get zoey to say mustang instead of spitfire. i'm definitely going to try and make that happen.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice one Jim, a fantastic looking Viper.

Zoey is a little stunner ain't she.

5 stars for both, oh and to Mum too.

Tony.

B

beav1013

thanks tony. yea she's something else. going to family parties now is just all about her (first grandchild on both mine and my wife's side). she just gets passed around and passed around...

C

CDW

Thats a nice tidy looking Viper, very subtle and realistic looking destressing and weathering. ..... not bad for 6 months work!!

As for the other little model ....what a pretty young lady ..... not bad for 9 months work :smiling3: :smiling3:

Whats next on the list Jim??? another Sci-Fi model, or a son?

B

beav1013

thanks colin and ian! colin, i just started the tim burton version of the batmobile from the 1989 movie. i picked it up for $5 at a 2nd hand store. it's missing one piece but i think i can work around it. i basically put the whole thing together in 1 hour. not sure if batman is considered sci fi, but i'll say yes for the purpose of me continuing my sci fi models.

it's funny, all of our friends are starting to have kids too, and we were the only ones so far to have a girl. my motto to my wife (who wants 3 or 4) was, "as many as you want, or as many as it takes to have a boy." hopefully the next one, but either way it will be awesome.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
no probs , im just putting the finishing touches to a kit of the galactica funny enough but I doubt it will look as good as that, ill put a pick up when shes finished.

First Name
Dave
Superb Viper.Im a big fan of the series,got all the DVD boxed sets.Now you need a Cylon raider to go with it.

B

beav1013

Thanks Dave. I asked for it for Christmas, hopefully I get it.