Making a simple brush cleaner

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I saw a brush cleaner advertised somewhere on the 'net for about £40 and thought it was a tad pricey for what it is, but I liked the idea. Mine cost me less than £5 and took about 20 minutes to make.

You need:

A small container with an airtight lid (you don't want your cleaning fluid evaporating away)

A piece of stiff wire to make a frame

A piece of mesh big enough to cover the area of your container

A bit of wire to tie the mesh to the frame.

Method:

Make a frame to support your mesh. When you add your cleaning fluid, you will need to fill your container to just above the level of the mesh. You will also need to allow sufficient depth for the fluid to create a reservoir to hold the paint residue which comes off the brush. My container is about 100mm diameter and I made the frame about 50mm high. You can see my frame has three supports. Yours will depend on the stiffness of the wire and mesh that you use, and the shape of your container. A good stiff mesh may not need a frame at all.

Cut your mesh to fit across the top of your container. I couldn't be bothered to cut a circle, so I just cut mine square and bent it to fit. You're not trying to make a bit of precision equipment here. The whole thing just needs to sit securely in your container so that it doesn't move about and stir up the fluid while you're using it.

Drop the mesh over the frame and secure it with a couple of short pieces of wire.

Add the cleaning fluid of your choice until it just covers the surface of the mesh.

To clean your brush, you just need to stroke it over the mesh - as if you were trying to paint it. The edges of the mesh will 'scrape' the paint residue from the bristles and it will float away in your fluid and sink under the mesh. You can use a piece of tissue to check your brush is clean and dry the bristles.

DO NOT SHAKE YOUR CONTAINER OR YOU WILL CAUSE THE PAINT SEDIMENT TO RISE ABOVE THE SURFACE OF THE MESH.

Top up your fluid as necessary and if it does become too dirty, simply wash out your container and refill.

Job done.

Just one question. I've filled mine with white spirit for cleaning enamels. Could I use that for acrylics as well? I usually run my brushes under the tap to clean acrylics but that's a trip to the bathroom so it would save my poor tired old legs if I could use the same cleaner.

Gern

View attachment 56234

View attachment 56235

View attachment 56236

View attachment 56237

Components.jpg

Finished 1.jpg

Finished 2.jpg

Frame.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Just one question. I've filled mine with white spirit for cleaning enamels. Could I use that for acrylics as well?

Gern
Nope,you'll have to make another one with a suitable cleaning agent. Meths should work.

Great idea by the way,I'm off to the shed to look for some mesh :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Nope,you'll have to make another one with a suitable cleaning agent. Meths should work.Great idea by the way,I'm off to the shed to look for some mesh :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
Oh well. Poor old legs!

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
looks good idea bud one question where did you get all the products from...the shops in this country are generic so they will be everywhere and sell the same stuff

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi John.

I got the container from Wilkinson's and both the aluminium wire and the mesh from this site on ebay:

Aluminium Modelling Mesh Fine Medium And Coarse Modroc And 3.2mm Craft Wire Set | eBay

Gern

C

CDW

Softer plastics are effected by spirits as they can soften the compound by a chemical action (i.e. a chemical heat occurs and distorts the plastic moleculear structure.

In the other hand the harder plastics (abs type) can become brittle by the same chemical action.

the plastic bottle that the spirits come in is specially designed to withstand the attack.

I'd see if you can find a kilner jar or similar with a harder black rubber seal, it will be able to withstand the attack for a longer period, although it'll eventually go hard and brittle with time.

If you can find a glass jar with a cork washer this would be the best solution, you can smear vaseline on the cork (or the black rubber for that matter) to withstand a direct attack, this sould prolong the life of the seal.

Hope this helps without going too technical :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You appear to be right Colin. The hard plastic lid has gone brittle and is still crumbling away so it looks like it's been affected by the white spirit. I'll try to find a metal or glass container with a cork seal as you suggest.

Gern

PS Perhaps that's why the one I saw advertised is so expensive

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Where was I? Oh yes. I'd just finished crying 'cos of my new brush cleaner disintegrating.

Step 1 still applies. Get your bits assembled first - only this time use an all aluminium container! Get rid of the plastic seal 'cos white spirit and plastics don't get on too well together (You learn summat new every day).

Frame, mesh and wire exactly as before, add a little vaseline (thanks Colin) around the screw thread to help keep it airtight and there you go. A cheap brush cleaner.

Got my tins from here. They're not quite as deep as I'd like but they're OK.

4 x 9cm Round Screw Top Aluminium Storage Candle Soap Tins 9cm x 4.5cm Deep | eBay

I've labelled mine as I'll be making another for acrylics and don't want to get them mixed up.

Gern

View attachment 56444

View attachment 56445

Brush cleaner1.jpg

Brush cleaner2.jpg

F

Fenlander

Great idea Dave, which you should have kept to yourself, made a hundred and sold them for £6.99 each. A bargain and a profit for all interested parties :thumbs-up:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
Great idea Dave, which you should have kept to yourself, made a hundred and sold them for £6.99 each. A bargain and a profit for all interested parties :thumbs-up:
Now he tells me!

Gern

M

m1ks

That is a good idea, well done that man.

Re the jars, you can get all glass pop top types like your original that would be the best solution, you are of course stuck with the rubber ring seal BUT..... You could pick up a few cheap cork floor tiles and make a handful of seals from them perhaps?

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I thought about using a Kilner jar. One problem with those is the top opening is smaller than the main body which makes it very awkward to fit the mesh. Still, it wouldn't be impossible so anyone who already has one could use your idea.

Gern

H

happsy

I know this is an old post but I can shed some light on this problem for future reference. The plastic and the white spirit are both derivities of oil, just taken out at different stages of the "cracking" process. As a result of this the two variants of plastic involved here are disolvable by the white spirit which is a solvent from the process.