Making Shouldered Rifle Straps?

• Thread starter second time beginner
  • Start date
S

second time beginner

Hi I recently bought some 1/35 resin 101st airborne figures lately and I noticed one needs a gun strap for a shouldered rifle. What's the best way to make one? Green stuff or milliput? I was wondering if anyone had any tips

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I have used masking tape painted up in the past, worked a treat.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I cut up a stip off a bar code,

J

john dutfield

the actual things were quite unrefined IIRC. Just standard webbing as used for gas mask bags, belts and etc with brass fittings. It was a stiff, heavy thick material but narrow, maybe 3cm at most and didn't lie in soft folds.

Hope that is some use?? :smiling3:

F

Fenlander

\ said:
I use KFC hand wipes,cut into 2mm strips, ;)
When I read things like this, it always makes me wonder why you thought that might work? :D I mean, how does the initial thought "I need to replicate canvas strapping" become the idea "I know, KFC hand wipes" :rolleyes:

Is it just me that never sees such opertunities?

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
I like this approach as keeps thenm flexi ( tape doesn't act this way
it real dose help,plus you can pull them as well without braking ,likepaper or some think,

just let dry and paint first, ;)

\ said:
When I read things like this, it always makes me wonder why you thought that might work? :D I mean, how does the initial thought "I need to replicate canvas strapping" become the idea "I know, KFC hand wipes" :rolleyes:
if you do look at them you do see a texture to the wipe,and as said to Robert,the texture is some what like a canvas,

glad that you both like the idea, ;)

D

dubster72

\ said:
it real dose help,plus you can pull them as well without braking ,likepaper or some think,
just let dry and paint first, ;)

if you do look at them you do see a texture to the wipe,and as said to Robert,the texture is some what like a canvas,

glad that you both like the idea, ;)
Canvas? I thought rifle straps were clear.png

made of leather...

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
ummm a bit of both I,thing,as with the texture of the wipes can be either one ,I would say,

I do think that some even were wedding as well, ;)

S

Stevekir

\ said:
When I read things like this, it always makes me wonder why you thought that might work? :D I mean, how does the initial thought "I need to replicate canvas strapping" become the idea "I know, KFC hand wipes"
No. Its a gift. I scour the kitchen, garage, garden, I even vandalised a vacuum cleaner brush yesterday for some bristles. My wife sighs a lot.

P

Paul P

Lead or aluminium foil make good straps. You can paint and shape them and they stay in position you put them in

S

second time beginner

This is why I love this forum. It's the simple things that never occur to me but seem so obvious to other people

F

Fenlander

\ said:
This is why I love this forum. It's the simple things that never occur to me but seem so obvious to other people
You and me both :smiling3:

0ne48thtel

Foil or insulation tape is what I use for strapping one thing I do with the tape is paint the sticky side first. That way it is easier to pick off the surface you have it on.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Just like our mate Monica, I use wipes for any kind of canvas or leather, be they straps or tents. Just make sure they are single ply - double ply ones de-laminate when paint is applied, and are useless.

I find I can never get the correct bend with any kind of tape...It either creases or doesn't bent and sit in a natural position. Whereas wipes do.

Some folks paint a large area and when dry, cut the thing into the required size. Others cut the strips first and then paint. I use either depending on the application.

Which ever method is used, be very careful as the wet tissue breaks easily.

Once dry, the straps are easily given a sweet bend by just gently easing them into the correct 'lie' with the fingers, or wrapping them around a paint brush handle and unwinding.

Too much pressure will kink the tissue and ruin the strap.

Cut the straps into the required length, glue them at the ends into the required position and then with the end of the paint brush handle ease the straps into the desired shape.

Straight forward process, just be very, very careful!

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lots of good ideas here but I would go along with Si. My clumsy fingers wouldn't cope with flimsy tissue but masking tape is stronger. Micro tapes like Jammy Dog is already cut into strips too and sticking it to the back of your hand a few times gets rid of most of the glue.

D

Deleted member 4539

For straps and belts I still use the foil from baby milk powder.

I collected a life time's supply from when my children were babies.