March - Aug 2016 SIG: The Battle of Malta. Chat Thread.

P

Polux

The battle of Malta GB gives to you the possibility to build any item related with this battle.

Interesting GB to research information, and build some great specific models :smiling3:

Is a SIG, so you have six months to create the subject...or a diorama, of course!!!

Questions and suggestions, this is the correct thread where to post them.

Thanks

Polux

First Name
Dave
Ive got a kit in mind for this Sig.But as I work away from home these days it's going to take me a lot longer than it used to , to finish it. If I can find a kit I'm going to build the Messerschmitt 109E7 flown by Joachim Muncheberg. The Airfix dogfight doubles kit has markings for Munchebergs 109. Although the kit is historically inaccurate as there were no spitfires on Malta when Muncheberg fought in the battle during February/ March 1941.

image.jpg

First Name
Dave
I managed to find the dogfight doubles kit in my LMS. So i will be ready to start this next week.As the 109 is a small model even in 1/48, i will take it with me when im working away from home. When i said the kit is historically inacurate, i meant the box illustration. These two would not have met in combat over Malta.The 109 was involved in the conflict in 1941 and the spitfire in 1942. Cant wait to get started now!.I might build both if i have the time.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
I managed to find the dogfight doubles kit in my LMS. So i will be ready to start this next week.As the 109 is a small model even in 1/48, i will take it with me when im working away from home. When i said the kit is historically inacurate, i meant the box illustration. These two would not have met in combat over Malta.The 109 was involved in the conflict in 1941 and the spitfire in 1942. Cant wait to get started now!.I might build both if i have the time.
Nice I'll look forward to that one, really interested in this SIG. I looked at this airfix pack and thought it would be spot on for this SIG. If the MK Vb is the new tool which I think it is, it turns into a nice spit so good luck. I might do a Stuka and get involved.

First Name
Adrian
Has anyone got details on what MK Spitfires served in Malta? I know the Vb and Vc did according to an online report but did the MK VIII?

Adrian

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Has anyone got details on what MK Spitfires served in Malta? I know the Vb and Vc did according to an online report but did the MK VIII?
Adrian
I've got a book about Malta spitfires. Unfortunately it's at home and I'm away working.Will have a look when I get home at the weekend.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Adrian
Might need to look into that but as far as I can remember it was just mkVb/c's as you've said already, we need someone with one of those "spitfires over Malta" or "aces of the Malta siege" books by osprey... And bloody good books they are too!

First Name
Adrian
I found some info here's a quote from it

One reason for the delay was that it had been decided to use the Mk VIII in the Mediterranean and Far East, and so the first squadron to use it was No. 145, based on Malta.

This was 1943 according to the article.

But I'm not sure if this was after, or if there is a set date for this GB's " Battle for Malta"

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
I found some info here's a quote from it
One reason for the delay was that it had been decided to use the Mk VIII in the Mediterranean and Far East, and so the first squadron to use it was No. 145, based on Malta.

This was 1943 according to the article.

But I'm not sure if this was after, or if there is a set date for this GB's " Battle for Malta"
I would have thought the dates are what's quoted as for the siege of Malta 1940-42, I'm sure Polux will put us right?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well it says the battle for Malta not the Siege so I'd have thought that it would include anything that was on,in or around Malta during the war.

I hope Polux comes in and sorts it out soon.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
For this SIG, the battle and siege will be one of the same. To me they are the same - the Axis desire to beat the Island into submission. So before we get bogged down, try this..........

Build anything to do with the attack (or defence) of Malta, at any time during WW2.

We will have to wait for Polux's reply, but to me the build title is straight forward enough. So I hope the above goes some way to clear up any confusion.

Cheers all,

Ron

First Name
Adrian
I only asked as I have a MKVIII and after a little digging No 145 Squadron was deployed with MKVIII's from Aug 1943, and I agree with Ron as it says Battle not siege but will wait on confirmation :smiling3:

I'm just trying to take part in one GB, as all the rest are very limited for me, I don't do rust buckets above or below the water, nor diorama's and I'm building from my stash :smiling3:

Adrian

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Try this....

Any part of the WW2 Malta Campaign, be it the initial airborne bombing, the Siege, or the Battle in general during the attempt to take the Island can be modelled.

Any nationality that was present - no prejudice here! Even the King dishing out the George Cross Medal to the Island itself.

Any scale. Any amount of figures, military or civilian or a stand alone one, or any combination of them - same scale please. Any vehicle, tracked or otherwise, motorbike with or without sidecar, any type of aircraft, floating or sunken ships , boats, dinghies, bunkers, caves, blown up buildings - In fact anything to do with Malta during WW2 will be allowed.

If I've forgotten anything please ask away........

Polux.......HELP!:confused: ;)

P

Polux

Wow!!!

What is happening here :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Ok!! Sorry for my late response :confused:

After I've read the posts...I thought the Ron's one is really fine.

You know, I always prefer that the members can join in....so, I'm agree to give the "margin" enough for that reason!!

As Ron said....anything to do with Malta during WW2 will be allowed ;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
For this SIG, the battle and siege will be one of the same. To me they are the same - the Axis desire to beat the Island into submission. So before we get bogged down, try this..........
Build anything to do with the attack (or defence) of Malta, at any time during WW2.

We will have to wait for Polux's reply, but to me the build title is straight forward enough. So I hope the above goes some way to clear up any confusion.

Cheers all,

Ron
I'm sure that's what I said Ron in a roundabout sort of way

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Wow!!!
What is happening here :smiling3: :smiling3: :smiling3:

Ok!! Sorry for my late response :confused:

After I've read the posts...I thought the Ron's one is really fine.

You know, I always prefer that the members can join in....so, I'm agree to give the "margin" enough for that reason!!

As Ron said....anything to do with Malta during WW2 will be allowed ;)
I'm glad you cleared that one up Polux.

The reason, just take a look at my latest post in my SIG build thread.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I was only having a quiet leg pull.....Just a bit of fun - honest.