March - Aug 2016 SIG: The Battle of Malta. Chat Thread.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mmmm, a Fairey Fulmar, much maligned but not a bad aircraft at all. I might see if anything is available in a small scale that would fit the bill.

Cheers

Steve

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Mmmm, a Fairey Fulmar, much maligned but not a bad aircraft at all. I might see if anything is available in a small scale that would fit the bill.
Cheers

Steve
Nice idea, eduard do a mkII in 1/48 but if you can get hold of MPM's offering its really decent by all accounts, my LHS had one in a little while back at a decent price and within hours it was gone, gutted!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just wondering if I can or could join in this GB build. In my stash I have a 1/48 Spitfire V /Vb with trop abouka air filter.

Ref shows that the spits even though entering later in the Malta campaign were supplied from HMS Eagle 1942.

Or I was thinking of a Hurricane iib which I'll have to order in.

Any thoughts

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Has anyone got details on what MK Spitfires served in Malta? I know the Vb and Vc did according to an online report but did the MK VIII?
Adrian
Mk V were delivered from HMS eagle from my ref.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
\ said:
Just wondering if I can or could join in this GB build. In my stash I have a 1/48 Spitfire V /Vb with trop abouka air filter.
Ref shows that the spits even though entering later in the Malta campaign were supplied from HMS Eagle 1942.

Or I was thinking of a Hurricane iib which I'll have to order in.

Any thoughts

Robert
Your right

\ said:
Mk V were delivered from HMS eagle from my ref.
Your right on both accounts I believe, mkIIb Hurricanes were used and mkV spits were dispatched from HMS Eagle

First Name
Dave
Mk5 spits were delivered in several batches from different carriers. The colour schemes used on these aircraft is a topic of much debate.So a bit of research is needed when modelling a Malta spitfire.Those delivered in the desert scheme had the middle stone camo areas over painted with a locally mixed grey.This was to make them less conspicuous when operating over the sea.Ive also seen photos of them still in the dark earth/middle stone camo and some with the upper surfaces entirely in blue grey!.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I found this pic and even though I these are in North Africa 42 the colour scheme is as Dave mentioned.

It does look like there is a grey shade over the middle stone look

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
This will be my entry in the Malta SIG I'm hoping to get some info on 185 Squadron which flew out of Hal Far in 1942

It will be a VC ( I think but the VB was also flown by this Squadron during this time.

Regards

Robert

image.jpeg

First Name
Dave
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

\ said:
Well I found this pic and
\ said:
Well I found this pic and even though I these are in North Africa 42 the colour scheme is as Dave mentioned.
It does look like there is a grey shade over the middle stone look

View attachment 148816
That photo is of the standard desert scheme of dark earth, middle stone and azure blue Robert. Here are some side profiles of malta spitfires-:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Thanks Dave this is super beyond belief and I really like your ref pictures which I have saved to my pics. I believe looking at the kit and the ref pics I'm prob going to have to get a new spinner as the VB Tamiya kit has the pointed one and the VC is the smooth type.

It's either going to be X BR112 or GLE BR294 as I want to depict the more med sea blues and slate greys as I've never done a spit in these colours

Well on to E bay to get a new spinner

Many thanks again Dave

Kind regards

Robert