Masking Canopies

A

Awins

Im currently working on a 1/72 scale Ju88 which has plenty of glazing.
The detail on the canopy isn't very raised from the surface,which is making it very difficult to mask up. By this I mean once tape is applied I cant feel the raised line to cut against if this makes sense.
Any ideas how to over come this please. Cheers Alan

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I have used the bare metal foil instead of tape recently as this is thinner it may work better. I rubbed into the edges using a very slightly blunted cocktail stick (I was afraid of tearing the foil).

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Or try liquid mask, paint it up to a visible edge (although may not give you a perfectly straight edge).

R

Rupert Carss

Aftermarket mask set?
I'm not sure if they do them for 1:72 scale but I got an eduard set for my 1:48 Ju88. It was a great investment!
20170817_201000.jpg

R

Rupert Carss

That's a lot of greenhouse to hand paint!

m.ebay.co.uk/itm/JUNKERS-Ju-88-A-4-PAINTING-MASK-TO-REVELL-KIT-72029-1-72-PMASK-/362021684886

Have a scout round on eBay... masks are out there for that scale. I would recommend using them. Once all painting is done, the final act of removing masks is satisfying in the extreme!

D

Doug Hughes

I usually cut thin strips of tape and apply them to the edges of the windows, then fill in the gaps with larger pieces. This minimises the 'in situ' cutting to a few small slices here and there. Having said that, it would be a lot of work for a Ju.88 - maybe as others have said, it's best to go for a pre-cut mask set!

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Tamiya super thin masking tape will do the trick. No cutting needed either. Just mask and paint one section at a time.
John

First Name
Dave
IMG_4806.PNG But a mask set. Not that expensive and will save you a lot of time and trouble. Hannants sell the Eduard mask sets. This ones for the italeri 1/72 JU88. Who makes your kit?.

First Name
Alex
I don't tend to mask my cannopies, instead i apply a coat of clear gloss first, then paint the frames free hand as good as i can. Then it's out with the cocktail sticks to scrape around the edges to remove the excess paint (i use acrylics) and re-paint and scrape until i get the finish i want before finally applying a final coat of clear gloss. If i could justify the expense i would just buy cannopy masks but i get away with my method most of the time.

J

John Rixon

I usually cut thin strips of tape and apply them to the edges of the windows, then fill in the gaps with larger pieces. This minimises the 'in situ' cutting to a few small slices here and there. Having said that, it would be a lot of work for a Ju.88 - maybe as others have said, it's best to go for a pre-cut mask set!
Me too, 3 down and still working! Also try thin strips and fill in with masking fluid - but don't do this if you've dipped the canopy in Humbrol Clear!

R

Rupert Carss

Am I the only one who finds Hannants website difficult to navigate? The search function is a ballache. I can never find what I'm looking for.
(That is on the small screen rather than the laptop...)

J

John Rixon

Am I the only one who finds Hannants website difficult to navigate? The search function is a ballache. I can never find what I'm looking for.
No you're not! The search function is a bit too wide ranging, and you end up scrolling through every product just to find a single item, Eduards is the same!

First Name
Dave
I find the easiest way is to find your kit on there first. Then click on the kit and all the stuff they sell for it is listed below. Of course, this only works if theyve got your kit in stock.