Mirror Models Diamond Wrecker...

J

John Rixon

Right, while I paint my Easy Eight, I've decided to make a start on what is clearly going to be a long build! First impressions of this kit are pretty good, considering it is a very small company. The detail is very good, not as crisp as Dragon, but I don't see this as a big issue. The sprue gates are famously huge, but tapered down towards the component. This means that you can't just snip them off with sprue-cutters, firstly because there cutters get drawn towards the part as you squeeze and this ends up cutting more off than you wanted, ruining the part. So, the order of the day is to either micro-saw them off (best for the tiny parts) or cut well away from the part, then trim off afterwards.

wrecker 3.jpg

On the build log I follow, the modeller suggests nail clippers, and what a genius idea this is!

wheel.jpg

They work perfectly for curved edges, but they do need to be quality ones. When you see little parts like this:

bits copy.jpg

you'll understand how tricky it could be to remove from the sprue!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4539

They are. quite chunky sprue atatchments.

Nice start anyway.

Last edited:
D

dubster72

With chunky sprue attachment points John, I use a pair of snips to chop the sprue itself so that I can reach the part with very sharp nail scissors.

That way there's more access & less chance of part damage.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Nice work with the sprues and a great idea using the nail cutters John
When I saw this I wondered why the hell I hadn't thought of it myself! It really will save a lot of time, there are 500 odd parts in this kit, and a lot of them curved. I must remember to find the build log and pat him on the back!

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Always wanted to see or build one off these kits so looking forward to seeing more and nice save with the nail clippers for the pesky sprue's

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Very nice to get the helping hands with in depth descriptions on sprues and snipping off.

Those wheels look very well detailed and it would have been a shame to damage them

Cracking start

Regards

Robert

J

John Rixon

\ said:
With chunky sprue attachment points John, I use a pair of snips to chop the sprue itself so that I can reach the part with very sharp nail scissors.
That way there's more access & less chance of part damage.
Another good plan, damage is so easy with these types of sprue, and I have cut a few big bits this way too. I realised soon into this that my Xuron cutters will be blunt at the end of this build, unless I figured out another way! At least once the component has been persuaded away from the sprue, cleaning up is nice and easy, the styrene pares away beautifully with a fresh Swann Morton :smiling3:

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Very nice to get the helping hands with in depth descriptions on sprues and snipping off.
Those wheels look very well detailed and it would have been a shame to damage them

Cracking start

Regards

Robert
For sure Robert, I came close with the first tyre half, but saw it beginning to happen, so stopped myself swiftly! It's not the cheapest kit, and I want to build it OOB.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Always wanted to see or build one off these kits so looking forward to seeing more and nice save with the nail clippers for the pesky sprue's
This is why I've started a build log, I tend to start once the things been built, as most folks know how a tiger/Sherman/ what-have-you go together, but this is a bit different!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I know this feeling of oh what,,had it happen with some of the spurs on the tiger I,m doing,

a pain and adds so much more time,

your done well getting them off,and looking good,to show the detail, ;)

J

John Rixon

Blimey! Today, I've managed this, the start of the chassis.

IMG_2918.JPG

Which included tackling this bit, which is still to be inseted onto the chassis frame:

IMG_2915.JPG

You can see my micro-saw cuts - there was no way on earth I was going to get this out using cutters!

I don't kow why I'm enjoying this as much as I am, but it does perhaps hark back to the old RC days of a bundle of wood with a plan!

There are fit issues, and I had to spend the best part of an hour on one cross-member, just to get it to fit into its designated position - again, I

don't know why I wasn't ranting about it, other than the fact that it is extremely absorbing! One thing I did know though, is that the chassis needs to be flat and true

hence the rulers. Another oddity about this kit is that I cant use my prefered method of letting the Tamiya Extra-Thin cement wick into the joint. The Styrene

seems to need a slightly different approach, according to the instructions, applying glue to both surfaces then bringing them together.

J

John Rixon

And quite how I'm going to get this cut off successfully, I have no idea!

IMG_2919.JPG

Answers on a postcard please ;)

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
that is just so much more work,with is so over kill,I would of given up and

put it back in the box,

nice to see even with all of this ,your making so headway and progress,:rolleyes:

D

dubster72

\ said:
And quite how I'm going to get this cut off successfully, I have no idea!
View attachment 151951

Answers on a postcard please ;)
Get a big bit of blu-tak, lay it flat & push that corner of the sprue into it.

Then with a very sharp blade, cut it off. The blu-tak will support it & (hopefully!) prevent any breakage.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Then with a very sharp blade, cut it off. The blu-tak will support it & (hopefully!) prevent any breakage.
Now that sounds like a plan Patrick, I'll give it a try on a less delicate part first though, just to cover the "hopefully" part! ;) . My guess is, that once I've cracked the chassis, the toughest part will be over - you can quote me on this...

F

Fenlander

Great to see the progress on this John. Odd how some manufacturers just don't seem to plant the attachment points better. However, nothing insurmountable just needs a bit more time and attention. I think I might be having a look at what is available in the MM range, looks interesting.

J

John Rixon

\ said:
Patrick, you are a star! This works a treat for the really tricky bits, and for the most part, the Blu Tac prevents unwanted distortion!

D

dubster72

\ said:
Patrick, you are a star! This works a treat for the really tricky bits, and for the most part, the Blu Tac prevents unwanted distortion!
Glad to be of help John! :smiling3: