Mitches 200mm Winter Viking Warrior

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

100_2244.JPG

This will be my next figure, a whopper from Mitches Military Models. It's a 200mm Viking figure sculpted by Paul Philips.

On opening the box, I was a little disappointed with the finish, and did consider returning it:

100_2245.JPG

As you can see, the main part is a messy casting (there are even some holes through the thinner parts) with large casting blocks and quite a lot of debris. The face isn't very good, but given the fact that it's mostly hidden by the mask, it may be workable.

The rest of the kit looks like this:

100_2246.JPG

More messy casting and quite a bit of damage. The axe, dagger and horn all need repairing.

I decided to keep the kit in the end, as the sculpting is generally very good, and after all, there's nothing wrong with a challenge occasionally!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Peter
I’m sure you’ll make a fine thing from it, but if it was me I’d send it back. They aren’t cheap and that is barely of marketable quality to be honest.
Cheers
Tim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Good luck. Certainly not up to their usual standards. Almost looks as if it is a 'knock off' copy.
Jim

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Peter.
Im sure if you contact Gordon or Ross Mitchell they would be obliging if the castings are a bit doolally.
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks for looking in chaps. My first instinct was to send it back, but then I thought that perhaps it was me and that this is the norm (I have had one or two dodging castings from Mitches before). However, I've decided to give it a go, and it's coming along OK - lots of tutting and head shaking, and some major work, but I think it will do. Pictures later.

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Could you use thinned milliput to paint on the inside of his jacket?
Jon.

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Jon - done something like that.....

The first stage was to do something about the jerkin flap, so I decided to completely line it with a sheet of metal foil, then fill the edges:

100_2247.JPG

The rest of the torso wasn't too bad, just some filling and sanding to the skirts of the tunic (the section at the back also needed re-enforcing with foil).

Next the arms and legs:

100_2248.JPG

The arms weren't too bad, but the legs needed a bit of work. I again resorted to metal foil to to create continuous folds along the joins at the back, where it seemed that quite a bit of resin was missing. Fortunately, the roughest areas will be hidden.

Then on to his gear:

100_2250.JPG

The shield and hand just needed tidying up, but the rest needed mending or parts replacing. The sword was a bit miscast and needed new binding on the handle (foil again). New sections of resin were added where parts of the knife and axe were missing, and new suspension rings and lugs were made for the horn.

I then gave the figure a coat of matt black:

100_2251.JPG

The black showed up where extra sanding and filling was needed, and it will also serve as a base for the dry-brushed areas (helmet, hair, fur and mail). On the whole he isn't looking too bad, so hopefully I can make something of this one (though I don't think the end result will bear too much close scrutiny).

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
That's a great repair job Peter, it does make you wonder about their quality control for that to have got through.
Mick

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Mick

I have found that some of the smaller businesses tend to deliver poorer quality castings, even those with good reputations. No doubt cost comes into it.

Anyway, he's fixed and ready to go.

D

Deleted member 6559

Well, tried to paint the face - dreadful, really badly finished - so this one has gone to the back of a cupboard.

J

Jay-BFG

Mitches have great customer service, I did their 1/16 Iroquois and had all sorts of fit issues, they sent me two new torsos on two separate occasion to resolve the matter.
Drop them an email, I’m sure they’d be happy to help.

D

Deleted member 6559

Hi Jay

Apart from the casting issues, which I more or less sorted, the sculpt itself is very disappointing in places, something that Mitches won't be able to do anything about. The face, for example is truly terrible - one eye about 3mm higher than the other etc etc. Given that I've done so much work on the thing I wouldn't dream of asking Mitches to take it back. I may at some point try and re-sculpt the face, but then.....

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter.
From what you have posted it looks as you have saved it really well, please don't give up .
I think you should email them, if people don't voice their complaints nothing will ever be done, they just accept that no one cares about quality . You might even get a different one of their busts .
John .

D

Deleted member 6559

Well, sometimes you have to accept defeat. I wish I had waited, but in certain lights it didn't look so bad.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hopefully one day you will reach to the back of that cupboard !
John.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
oh so sorry to hear,that,maybe in a new light,you will win with him,very nice repair work,

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
it dose,and what a shame ,as well,

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Gee...another one bites the dust Peter. I know what you mean by bad molds or castings...I've come up with some Swiss cheese of my own.:tears-of-joy: The Korean sculptours send their's to professional castors. Roger Saunders of Hornet heads does the same.

Cheers,
Richard