Monty Python meets the Wehrmacht!

F

Fenlander

Found this while trawling for random stuff. The blurb said it was a man powered generator on a modified bicycle. Mmmmmm, not sure if it is genuine or not as it all looks a trifle staged and the guys on the left have a powered generator so why pedal?

Either way, it looks amusing and would make a fun diorama. Without wheels the 'bike' would be easy to scratch up from thin rod.

Anyone know anything about this?

image_67.jpe

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well, two men pedaling a contraption like that, which would be quite mechanically efficient, could easily produce enough power to allow a typically efficient dynamo/alternator to produce enough power to run even the relatively power thirsty wirelesses of that era. On those grounds I'd say it was a genuine contraption, but I agree that the photograph is staged. That's not at all unusual.

Cheers

Steve

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
This also looks pre/early WWII, the helmets look WW I or at least the M1935 at latest , lugs fitted and the guy kneeling is wearing puttees instead of jack boots. Interesting pic though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Graham only found the picture and yes I believe it is something to do with the First World War rather than later.

Also it's very much to do with Monty Python.

I'm surprised no one has spotted it.

The guys on the bike are charging up the battery which is located at base of bike/ tandem

The guys next to it are affixing the other batteries to the engine

Behind in the cart you see the helmet of the pilot

If you look carefully you can see the mast... For the sail

It's easy

It's a " wurlyblitzenaeroplanewasserbomber!!!

Ok I'll get my coat!

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
what an interesting find,I real do like it, ;)

shows how if you put your mind to some think,you can always find away of getting it done,:rolleyes:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
By the time the :eek: "Eviromentalists" get through with us, this will become the next big fad! I suggest building actual working models just to be ahead of the game a bit before the price of bicycle chain

sky rockets:D

FHQFHO3GBVJH04Q.LARGE.jpg

Other suggestion

Deux-b84a4fef-635518382126818311.jpg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Like your idea Jim and even one better get the kids to do the cycling and with all their energy ( no more dead laptops.

Robert

Ok I'm defo out the door!!

T

treyzx10r

okay was I really the only one who saw the 'giant foot' coming down and squashing the whole bit? ;D

F

Fenlander

Lol, I like the idea of a bicycle powered laptop, I would never generate enough to do much though:sad:

In Peterborough, we occasionally have a pedal powered outdoor cinema in one of the parks, not seen it mentioned for a while. They have rows of bikes that film goers sit on and pedal to power the projector in really teams while they watch the film..... I stayed in and watched telly..... :D