Mr. Hobby Mr. Surfacer

A

Aurora

hello Lads!

I bought mr. surfacer 1000 today. can it be dilluted with tamiya lacquer thinner like tamiya liquid primer? i don't want to spray cellulosic thinner.

thanks
şafak

D

dubster72

Yes that's the best way to thin it. It's worth noting that Tamiya lacquer thinner is essentially cellulose thinners though.

A

Aurora

Yes that's the best way to thin it. It's worth noting that Tamiya lacquer thinner is essentially cellulose thinners though.
thank you Patrick. well yes it is also based cellulose but atleast it doesn't smell as heavy as cellulose itself. ıf i spray cellulose at our apartment my wife will start WW3 :D

D

dubster72

thank you Patrick. well yes it is also based cellulose but atleast it doesn't smell as heavy as cellulose itself. ıf i spray cellulose at our apartment my wife will start WW3 :D

I've found that different brands of cellulose thinner have differing levels of odour. As you say, Tamiya lacquer is less offensive, but so are high-gloss cellulose thinners. Much better than the cheap stuff available at high street automotive stores & more economical than the Tamiya stuff.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Isn't the Mr Hobby thinners just IPA (iso-propyl alcohol)? Doesn't smell as bad as cellulose.

Pete

D

dubster72

Isn't the Mr Hobby thinners just IPA (iso-propyl alcohol)? Doesn't smell as bad as cellulose.

Pete

Sorry Pete, but what's Mr Hobby thinners got to do with it? That's for their acrylic Mr Hobby Aqueous range, not the Mr Color range or Mr Surfacer.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sorry Pete, but what's Mr Hobby thinners got to do with it? That's for their acrylic Mr Hobby Aqueous range, not the Mr Color range or Mr Surfacer.
Sorry, I was thinking of Mr Color thinner.

Pete

M

Morpheus

I've seen people using Mr surface 500 as well and trying to work out what they are all for, I bought humbrol putty filler for gaps, but are they a kind of filler too? So many products I confuse mynself

D

dubster72

I've seen people using Mr surface 500 as well and trying to work out what they are all for, I bought humbrol putty filler for gaps, but are they a kind of filler too? So many products I confuse mynself

The various grades of Mr Surfacer are used as a primer. They come as either a heavy liquid that needs thinning for airbrush use, or in a rattle can.
The advantages of them is a very smooth surface & durability because the formulation bites into the plastic. The downside is the smell!

Mr Dissolved Putty is the filler. However, this is (IMHO) exactly the same as Humbrol Filler that's been slightly dissolved in cellulose thinners.

M

Morpheus

The various grades of Mr Surfacer are used as a primer. They come as either a heavy liquid that needs thinning for airbrush use, or in a rattle can.
The advantages of them is a very smooth surface & durability because the formulation bites into the plastic. The downside is the smell!

Mr Dissolved Putty is the filler. However, this is (IMHO) exactly the same as Humbrol Filler that's been slightly dissolved in cellulose thinners.

Many thank Patrick, just started building my 1:72 focke wolf.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry

Sorry, I have to disagree
I use Mr Surfacer 500 (from the jar) as a filler, for medium sized gaps. It is thicker than Mr Dissolved Putty. The Mr Dissolved Putty is used for very fine seams such as between fuselage halves to 'blend' them together. Inalso use it for gaps in difficult places to sand. The MDP is also good at self levelling and one use is in getting rid of gluey finger marks or when you want to sand a rough uneven surface level. I use Vallejo Plastic Putty for larger filling jobs.

D

dubster72

I use Mr Surfacer 500 (from the jar) as a filler, for medium sized gaps. It is thicker than Mr Dissolved Putty. The Mr Dissolved Putty is used for very fine seams such as between fuselage halves to 'blend' them together. Inalso use it for gaps in difficult places to sand. The MDP is also good at self levelling and one use is in getting rid of gluey finger marks or when you want to sand a rough uneven surface level. I use Vallejo Plastic Putty for larger filling jobs.

Well how you use it is up to you Barry, but Mr Surfacer is still marketed as a primer for grades 1000, 1200 & 1500. The OP asked about Mr Surfacer 1000, not 500 and my answer was tailored to that particular question.

A

Aurora

You do mean the yellow capped bottle, yes?

Yep John, Yellow capped bottle

I've found that different brands of cellulose thinner have differing levels of odour. As you say, Tamiya lacquer is less offensive, but so are high-gloss cellulose thinners. Much better than the cheap stuff available at high street automotive stores & more economical than the Tamiya stuff.

Patrick you are right, but i already have a bottle of tamiya lacquer thinner. so i want use what i already have in my stash.

Barry, as Patrick said i will use mr.surfacer as primer coat. I use real car body shell filler and tamiya white putty for filling gaps.

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well how you use it is up to you Barry, but Mr Surfacer is still marketed as a primer for grades 1000, 1200 & 1500. The OP asked about Mr Surfacer 1000, not 500 and my answer was tailored to that particular question.
Patrick - you mentioned 'various grades', I was clarifying in respect of the 500 grade in a jar and pointing out the difference and uses of Mr Dissolved Putty... Some people could get confused and buy the 500 grade jar thinking it was a primer.

D

dubster72

Patrick - you mentioned 'various grades', I was clarifying in respect of the 500 grade in a jar and pointing out the difference and uses of Mr Dissolved Putty... Some people could get confused and buy the 500 grade jar thinking it was a primer.
OK so now we know that Mr Surfacer 500 can be used as a spot filler. I'm sorry that I didn't include that in my original post, but as the OP started from the 1000 grade, I thought it best not to confuse the issue deal with the grades including & above that level.

It's also worth noting perhaps that Mr Surfacer 500 comes in a rattle can. I guess it's a primer? It would be difficult to use it as a filler in that form...

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You are being rather tetchy there Patrick... I really don't see the need. Note that I did mention the jar version.