My Scratchbuilt Imperial Star Destroyer

A

Armorbuilder65

This model will remain my favorite as it was my first attempt at scratchbuilding. She's 34 inches long and was built back in 2004 in the same spirit of the ILM modelmakers: create a basic shape then cover it in random model kit pieces, found objects(the main engine nozzles are plastic easter eggs) and styrene shapes. Let my know what you think:smiling3:

A few build pictures...

Robert

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That is just FANTASTIC better than any kit you could get well done indeed Robert 5 BIG STARS from me

First Name
Charles
This is one awesome job. Simply inspiring. But I do not think I could be able to do something this big/scratch built. Tooo much time on your hands. Again. A masterpiece. You should be proud.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I take my hat off to the people who scratch built, but this is something else. Even George Lucas would be happy with this bud, it's fantastic.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Awful thing to print, but because I have little interest in Sci. Fi., I wasn't going to have a look at this. It was only when I saw it was scratch built, and I am getting very interested in this aspect of modelling, that I decided to have a look!

What a superb model. How many superlatives do you type to show how good you think this is? I ain't got room, so I won't........Big 5++

Thank you for taking the time to post it for us to see.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
A

andyrobs

Wow, that is an amazing build, definate 5 stars from me mate.

I remember in the early 80s watching I think blue peter, and they had one of the top TV/hollywood sci-fi model makers on. He had one of his models and showed how it was made of bits of old junk like tops of washing up bottles, yoghurt pots ect. When he pointed it out it was pretty obvious, but the models still looked amazing!!!

Cheers, Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
WOW!

I dont know what else to say. Fantastic build-

Will we be seing you in the Sci-fi SIG build??? I hope so.

Ian M

P

PeanuckleJive

That is NUTS.

Serious dedication to your art, looks phenomenal

B

beav1013

that is amazing. 5 stars for that for sure. just a suggestion... but if you do the sci fi SIG, you could try doing the blockade runner and have it be chased by this behemoth. that might be a small model, but that'd be sweet.

A

Armorbuilder65

Thanks for all the kind words! It was hands down one of the most enjoyable builds I've ever done. Thanks again:smiling3:

Robert

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's a well impressive bit of building! *****

I can see from your pics how you got the basic shape, and I can see a couple of bits and guess what type of kit they may have come from. Just out of interest, can you remember some of the kit parts you used and where they came from? For ILM to go and buy a whole load of kits to cannibalise is one thing - but for us mere mortals it's a whole different story.

I just remembered I saw one of these Japanese model building sites and the guy pointed out a couple of bits used on the Millenium Falcon. The bits he showed were from a 1/35 Tiger and a 1/24 Porsche racing car if memory is correct. It would be awfully expensive for an individual to do the same!

Gern

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I can see part of a ships superstructure and also what looks like the bogie assembly from a Sherman tank or poss. from a locomotive.

It's fascinating looking at this superb model and spotting 'bits' I think I recognise!

A

Armorbuilder65

Since I built this seven years ago, it's hard to remember exactly what kits I used. I DO know there are pieces from 1/700 scale modern guided missile cruisers and 1/700 scale Titanic ALL OVER this ship, in addition to the lunar lander, various 1/48 scale aircraft, 1/24 scale cars, etc. I dug these pieces out of a junk parts box I accumulated over YEARS. There is a wheel off a 1/24 scale Datsun 240Z that's pretty easy to spot!

Robert

P

ping-pong

When i first saw the pics i thought that is a kit, cant be scratched built but i was so wrong, absolutely incredible. if i can i would to give you five stars for an amazing and patient piece of building.

again incredible,

Cheers

Si :smiling3:

C

CDW

Well first of all i wondered how you managed to hack into George Lucas' personal photobucket account and steal his pictures :smiling3: :smiling3:

Bloody Awesome !!!!!!

I reckon you should get the number one ranking for this next Sci-Fi SIG build anyway..... just for the hell of it !!!!