My tool collection

M

MrGotty

Just ordered the first bits of my tools to get my collection back again. Will be buying bits every month so any tool suggestions would be fabulous :smiling3: Cannot wait to get started again.

S

Stevekir

Here is the Tamiya Plastic Scriber (attached):
Scriber.jpg

I don't have much need to scribe lines, but I use it mainly for cutting plasticard. Cutting with a knife is slow and tedious, cutting with scissors is inaccurate. For straight (with a ruler) or not-too-sharp curves it makes a very clean cut after several strokes. (Actually, it doesn't cut but scrapes a groove by removing plastic.) It works easily on up to 1 mm plastic card and probably on up to 2 mm thick. It depends on the number of strokes you will accept: about 7 for 1 mm thick. After the first stroke (straight cuts) the blade follows the groove easily. For a curved shape you can always scribe on the generous side and sand to shape.

I strongly recommend sanding sticks and other similar products from Flory models:
Flory Sticks.jpg

The black one is from a wide range of different grit sizes and widths, some inflexible others cushioned. The top is a combination extra fine (blue side) and incredibly fine (white side) polishing combination stick. Provided you have gone through the coarse to fine sticks (then sandpaper up to 6,000 grit) so only very tiny scratches remain, this stick - blue then white - will produce a mirror finish on plastic.
Cement.jpg

This polycement dispenser is invaluable in depositing a tiny drop on to any size of part. Store it upside down so that the cement is ready to come out without much delay. Clean the tube with a small strand of wire now and again. You can top it up when necessary.

Tooth picks, cotton buds, and a multi-compartment lidded and fastenable box for keeping small parts safe, are all useful. (Actually, the list is endless!)

Attachments

• Flory Sticks.jpg
    Flory Sticks.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 3
M

MrGotty

Thanks Stevekir, appreciate it. Indeed the list is endless lol i had a lot of useful gear before i quit and now i don't remember what exactly i used to have lol.

M

MrGotty

Okay, so I have a basic scale model set now - Spruce Cutters, File, Tweezers, Knife and Glues and Putty I think I got, and just ordered my first tank to do. Its the Airfix Churchill Tank, I still have brushes and all the other useful stuff to get but at least I can get to getting the parts together ready to paint. However I was just wondering if anyone uses Mr Color's? I like Vallejo but never really painted with them but I like the look of Mr Color and they are a tad cheaper. Whats everyone elses opinion please?

D

Doug Hughes

Good to see you're getting sorted and back into modelling, Scott. I've been in and out of the hobby over the years, too. On Mr Color, it sounds like you're talking about the Mr Hobby acrylic range. Vallejo, I think, are usually acrylic. Personally, if I'm brush painting, I use enamels rather than acrylics, because I find acrylics dry so quickly that it's difficult to get a smooth finish with a brush. So for brush painting, I use the Humbrol enamels (have done for about 50 years!). I use acrylics for airbrushing, though (Vallejo, Tamiya, Mr Hobby - whoever has the right colour). I'm sure you'll get lots of other opinions on here, but this is what works for me.

D

dubster72

Mr Color is, as far as I can tell, the cellulose based range from Gunze Sangyo. I've mostly used their metallic colours & they're very good airbrushed, but I wouldn't recommend them for brush painting.

From the same stable is Mr Hobby Aqueous, their acrylic range. These are virtually identical to Tamiya acrylics - they can be thinned with Humbrol Acrylic thinner, Tamiya thinner, cellulose thinners & their own proprietary thinner!

MHA have a far better range of colours than Tamiya & the price is similar too. For large areas when brush painting, you'll encounter a familiar problem in that the paint drys very quickly (as Doug said), which can lead to brush marks.
A way round this is to use multiple very thin coats.

However, with the 1/76 Airfix Churchill, you're not going to encounter these difficulties because it's such a small kit.

HTH

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice to see you're back at it Scott.
I read you brush paint - same here.

Because I like to keep things simple and straight forward, I use Vallejo Model Colour Acrylics thinned with tap water. I also brush with Vallejo Model Air, this is thinner paint, so straight from the bottle.

I find brushed on acrylics are fine for big areas - as long as you work quickly, use a flat headed brush and thin coats of paint.

....I'm also one of a strange breed that uses those little tubs of Airfix paints. I never throw stuff away.

For enamel work I use Humbrol or Revell, I'm not bothered which, thinned with cheap turps. substitute. I get satisfactory results from either.

I find it impossible to brush paint with Tamiya Acrylics!

As I wrote at the start, I like things simple with no hassle.

This subject is probably the biggest can of worms going in the modelling game, so best experiment, as almost everyone has their favourite paints (and how to apply them!)