Need help with paint conversion - AK to Tamiya

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Guys,

I'm currently building a Meng King Tiger. The colour call out is as per the photo below:

IMG_20170330_203431.jpg

The problem is, all my paints are Tamiya, and Google search has not found a conversion chart from AK to Tamiya. Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Bob

D

dubster72

The main ones you need Bob are for the camo colours. The rest are much of a muchness - black, white etc.

Tamiya Dark Yellow XF 60 is generally used for the Dunkelgelb base coat. To my mind it's a wee bit dark, especially after weathering. So I usually add some white, roughly 5:1.

For the actual camo, my preference is NATO Green XF 67 & NATO Brown XF 68. Tamiya do have specific paints designed to match German colours, being XF 61 Dark Green & XF 64 Red Brown.

Again for scale purposes I find these a bit dark, hence my preferred choice.
HTH

D

dubster72

Just one other point! If you have a supplier near you, as you use up your Tamiya paints, give a thought to Mr Hobby Aqueous. The formulation is identical, they can be thinned with Tamiya thinner & their range of colours is much greater than Tamiya. The price is much the same too.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Perfect, thanks Patrick.

Unfortunately the only hobby place near me is Hobby craft, and they only stock Tamiya, Revell and Humbrol. I may order some online though. :smiling3:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Funnily enough, a box of goodies arrived from John this morning. I treated myself to some Mig oilbrushers and some other weathering stuff.

D

dubster72

Ooh I'd seen those oilbrushers & wondered about them. Perhaps you can post up a review after you've played with them?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Can do, although it will be from a noobs perspective.

MIGs video on them is quite good, in fact i need to watch it again before i try them.

D

dubster72

Well the opinion of a noob is probably the best of all! Watching someone like Mig at work is fine, but he's so talented! Not like us mere mortals ;)

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Just one other point! If you have a supplier near you, as you use up your Tamiya paints, give a thought to Mr Hobby Aqueous. The formulation is identical, they can be thinned with Tamiya thinner & their range of colours is much greater than Tamiya. The price is much the same too.

Didnt know that, very useful as i have fallen in love with the Tamiya paints (to spray) as once thinned in the bottle they spray sublime (watch the next session clog the brush up). Good you can use Tamiya thinners, tried them once with Vallejo paints and oh dear - created a new form of lifeform.

D

dubster72

Didnt know that, very useful as i have fallen in love with the Tamiya paints (to spray) as once thinned in the bottle they spray sublime (watch the next session clog the brush up). Good you can use Tamiya thinners, tried them once with Vallejo paints and oh dear - created a new form of lifeform.

I'm no chemist Steve, but they smell, look & behave just like Tamiya paints. Also they thin with cellulose thinners just as well.