Neil's Airfix 1/72 Hurricane

First Name
Neil
Well I thought I'd start another while I wait for some replacement transfers for the F5 - which is looking good, just naked.

Anyway, I had primed the sprues with a rattle can before January with this but had done nothing else until this weekend so I think it may be OK.

Put the office in and wings to fuselage. A nice little kit so far looking a lot better than the B24. Will be wheels down and no airman - I find them too much effort to paint in this scale.

View attachment 100147

View attachment 100148

View attachment 100149

View attachment 100150

DSC_4008.JPG

DSC_4009.JPG

DSC_4010.JPG

DSC_4011.JPG

First Name
Aaron
Great looking hurri mate. Is this a mk1?

First Name
Neil
yeah, it's the new airfix one - well newish, I think it was last years. I'll have to do some pics with it and the hellcat when done because it is noticeably smaller.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
White is a very difficult paint colour/shade to use, especially when brushed on. Look forward to seeing the next coats go on Neil.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Which primer did you use Neil? I only ask because your green and white paints seem to appear as they would if you were painting onto bare plastic. You got good coverage out of the brown. One option if you are having trouble with the green is to paint the whole aeroplane in the brown. The green will stick to the other paint a lot better than the primer you've used I think. It will also eliminate those gaps you have between the two patterns. As you say, using a white primer would have negated the need to brush paint the white underside. My white Sea Hurricane was painted using white primer out of a rattle can and then treated the same as any other paint with varnishes. The lighter underside colour also goes on better on a white primer.

First Name
Neil
Grey Halfords rattle can. You are right about the white primer would have been a better choice however, the brown has had 3 thinned coats and the green only one which is why it looks patchy right now, I was going to put another one or two on anyway. Also, the brown goes beyond where it should so the green will overlap and fill in those gaps, rather than paint the green completely over the brown. I don't want to paint the whole thing brown with say 3 coats and then another 3 coats of green as that would run the risk of losing detail?

The green was only painted with a wide flat right now which is why it is also not as exact as yet. Unfortunately I've not purchased an AB setup - I'm still saving my pennies and will be looking to get one later in the year.

Thanks for the hint though, I would have thought white primer would not look good clear-coated, I may buy a cheap and cheerful model and try that out one day.

First Name
Neil

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Certainly looks glossy Neil. Coming along nicely.