New airbrush and paint brushes

First Name
James
So ive veen looking to replace my cheap Chinese airbrush its terible but hey free with compressor so i have decided that im goner buy one of the vallejo box collections that come with the harder and steenbeck ultra airbrush but while im at it i wana replace my brushes all getting worn now and there only humbrol ones not fantastic at all tbh so i was wondering what some of you guys use and ot recomend for good quality brushes price isnt an issue

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
With the airbrush, the guys on here convinced me to upgrade from the H&S Ultra to the Evolution. I'm so glad I did, it's a fantastic piece of kit.

For the hairy sticks I can't help you, I use Humbrol brushes which are fine for my needs. :smiling3:

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
For brushes it will depend on what you are painting to a certain extent.
For detail work I use a 0 and 00, good quality sable artists brushes, personally the Winsor and Newton series 7. They are expensive but looked after last for years.
Keep the old humbrol brushes for mixing paint and other more destructive jobs.
Some of the others will be able to weigh in with more brush advice.

Never used the Ultra I have the Evolution and love it.

F

Fenlander

Have a search for Broken Toad brushes, odd name but great quality for the price.

First Name
colin
Hi James
I use winsor and newton series 7 also. yes they are exspensive but some of my brushes are at least 6 years old and still going strong.
I also use cheap takoma brushes for washes and weathering £8.00 for 6 from an art shop

Last edited:
D

dubster72

The Harder & Steenbeck Ultra is an excellent airbrush when upgrading from a cheap Chinese one. It's well-engineered, easy to clean & will give great results.

As far as brushes go, a lot depends on how you use them. If you're the kind of person who cares for them & treats them well, invest in some good sable brushes. Everyone will have their own personal recommendation - Windsor & Newton Kolinsky are very good for oils. Daler Rowney synthetic brushes are great for painting with acrylics.

However, if like me you're hard on paint brushes (allowing paint to get up into the ferrule!), you might want to consider cheaper alternatives.

As I've found to my personal disappointment, expensive brushes don't make one a better painter ;) they're just tools & dependant on the skill of the user.

M

Morpheus

I bought my airbrush from Graphics direct, I got a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity CR Plus 2 in 1 Airbrush with quick release valve for £175 delivered as when I firsted visited the site it gave me a 10% discount code, on top of the great price for the airbrush :smiling3:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Ultra is indeed a superb airbush and a step up from the cheapo Chinese knock offs. I would suggest however that you might want to consider the H&S Evolution which is a step up again as clearly you are 'into' airbrushing. It does cost a bit more but is well worth it. To keep cost down I would suggest just get one with a 0.4 needle to start and when there are funds available get a 0.2 needle set as well. If you are flush enough then the 2 in 1 would give both needles.

As for brushes, nothing really to add to the above. Like Patrick I am a bit hard on them.....

R

russell hopson

I did see a tip once and have tried it. a set of makeup brushes they are a lot softer and don't leave much brush strokes. hope this helps