New Stadium Project

D

Davie

Hi All,

I am new to this forum and a complete newbie to undertaking a construction like this, Its only recently I have started scale models again but this will prove a real challenge.

I am looking to build Ibrox Stadium as it was back in 1987.

I was considering using plastruct and a light plastic material for the project, and looking to make the lengh of the stands about 15-18 inches.

This is the idea anyway, and i have to put quite a bit of planning etc into this before i even get started.

I just wondered if anyone had any advice or suggestions as I am expecting this project to take a long time.

I have some photos below which will at least help me

Cheers

Davie

1.jpg 12.jpg ojdn50.jpg i59254.jpg BzxvRXnIUAAaFg-.jpg 7.jpg 6.jpg 2-1.jpg 5.jpg 9-1.jpg BzxvRXiIQAEX1nG-1.jpg BzxvlOEIEAAysvy.jpg 11.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The first football match I ever went to was at Ibrox with my dad and a load of cousins, we were in the west enclosure and I remember the Copeland Rd end being a building site. It's been a long time since I have been back to Ibrox or been to a Rangers match, the last one was against Barcelona at the Nou Camp.
I would very much like to see how you get on. Just don't take any advice from anyone called Green, Whyte or Ashley.

B

Bangor Lad

Interesting. I've been toying with a plan to build a model of my club, Bangor City's, old ground at Farrar Road. Not exactly Ibrox but certainly very important to us Citizens!

D

Davie

Rickoshea,

Ibrox is a great stadium did you ever visit it when it was complete?

I have had many amazing experiences there its a Stadium I love.

They did serious damage its been a tough time but hey ho this project will keep me sane

Bangor its a lot of fun it has really tested me though im using cardboard and foamboard to get all the dimensions.

Seats was a real issue as i had to come up with something pretty small and all I could think of was getting the smalleat cable clips and cutting them down in size!!

It will be a while before I do anything with them a lot of other stuff to get sorted first!!

20170507_152949.jpg 20170507_152958.jpg 20170507_154618.jpg 20170507_172018.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I think the last time I was there was for Alan McLaren's testimonial, I went many times until I left Scotland in 2005; don't see myself going back there anytime soon though.

With regards to your build, I think it is wise to trial sections with card or foam board before committing to an expensive material. Some time ago I detailed the interior of an HO railway station and used card to size up and dry fit floors and walls before cutting plasticard, it was time consuming but getting the right result was worth the effort. The advantage you have is the detailed plans and photos to work from, I had to design and build my station interior from scratch.

D

Davie

He was destined for great things the last Testimonial I was at was McCoists.

This will all be trial and error, as long as I get it as close as possible I will be happy. Initially I wanted to build this around a subbuteo sized field but it would be too big.

This is my first attempt too so ill take my time.

One thing that i do want to do is model the old main stand with the comentary gantry rather that the club deck it looks fat more traditional to me and the idea of fitting in LED lights appeals too, but ill see what happens but this is certainly the dream.

wagdip.jpg general_view_of_ibrox_stadium_home_of_glasgow_rangers_1978_454854.jpg season-19841985-ibrox-glasgow-interior-view-of-rangers-ibrox-park-BJKXGN.jpg