new to scale models.

R

rcmadd

hi.. im just starting out in scale models.. i am trying out a Mclaren MP4/7 F1 car.
sadly i have made a complete mess of the body trying to spray it.. i was wondering if anyone here has a spare or know where i can source 1.. many thanks.

J

Jens Andrée

Hi and welcome!

Making a mess of the first 10 kits or so is part of the game and we've all done it ;)

If it's the Tamiya kit then they run a spare parts service. (just like all manufacturers should do, but some don't - like Squadron!)

Go through your local agent and you should be able to order spare parts, unless it's a really rare or old kit?
http://www.tamiya.com/english/agent/agent.htm

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Can’t you remove the paint and start again?

J

Jens Andrée

Worst case scenario you can get a whole kit for ~£30 and salvage the build.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-1-2...981342&hash=item25b12d6623:g:6SsAAOSwkZhWRY1S

I'm surprised Tamiya didn't have any spares since they did a rebox in 2014, but it's not impossible they are totally sold out.

But like John suggested you should always attempt to remove all paint and start again.
A bit of cellulose thinner, or even isopropanol alcohol should remove the paint depending on what paint and primer you used?
Don't use acetone because that's too aggressive on the plastic.

What paint have you used and what is the problem that has occurred?

R

rcmadd

i used the tamiya spray.. ts36
the problem is/was.. the paint leaked under the masking tape,,, guess i didnt press it down properly at the edges..
i tried overspraying with white.. but trying to cover neon red is near on impossable, lol.

J

Jens Andrée

Cellulose thinner, or iso, on a q-tip can solve that problem and then you just spray that area carefully again.

Always spray at an angle from masking tape and never towards the edge, that way you don't have to press down the masking tape so much and no paint can get under the masking tape!
This isn't always possible if using a rattle can, but for airbrush it's the usual procedure.

J

John Rixon

I'm with John, Windex/detol/ mr muscle blue window cleaner will strip that nicely, hard though it is to believe! I let palletes get well gummed up with mixture of Tamiya and Vallejo paints, they soon clean up with Mr Muscle blue window cleaner!

R

rcmadd

only thing i have in house at the moment is white spirit used for cleaning gloss paint from paintbrushes..
ill look for something when i go shopping again.. thanks all this advice is great.