scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scottie

I started to think I could use the foil lids off baby formula tubs for tarps and canopies
Martyn,

That's what I do as well and the foil off of well known crisps in a tube. I roughen the surface with scotchbrite or other suitable scourers to both get rid of any residual pattern in the foil and to give a good key for the paint.

Paul

Wookie2486

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martyn
Scottie,

I'm glad you told me that as I didn't know about giving it a key, do you have to do that with lead foil aswell

Marty

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scottie,

I'm glad you told me that as I didn't know about giving it a key, do you have to do that with lead foil aswell

Marty
It doesn't hurt I also used old scotchbrite that is worn to key the surface of the plastic prior to painting.

Wookie2486

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martyn
Scottie

Do you still key the plastic now and do you find it helps

Marty

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi paul welcome to the forum , the armoured car looks great , very nicely weathered , the base looks good too and will complement the model perfectly, cheers tony

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi paul welcome to the forum , the armoured car looks great , very nicely weathered , the base looks good too and will complement the model perfectly, cheers tony
Tony,
Glad it meets with your approval. And many thanks for the warm welcome from everyone to SM.

Wookie2486

SMF Supporter
First Name
Martyn
Scottie

I might have to try that then with my new build thanks.

Marty

E

Evan James

Welcome Scottie
Great to see more shots of your latest masterpiece. It's usually the small elements that make a good model, your layout of stowage is excellent. Very nice paint too.
ev

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Welcome Scottie
Great to see more shots of your latest masterpiece. It's usually the small elements that make a good model, your layout of stowage is excellent. Very nice paint too.
ev
Evan,
That is very kind of you to say. cheers
Paul

B

Brad9826

Great job Scottie, can I ask how you did the splinter camo, specifically the small splinter markings, is it a purchased product or your scratchery?
Cheers

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Great job Scottie, can I ask how you did the splinter camo, specifically the small splinter markings, is it a purchased product or your scratchery?
Cheers
Hi Brad,

I wish I could say I painted the splinter camo, but the truth is I had made another small tarp to sit on the fender but wanted a bit of colour so in my spares I had a sheet of various cam effects so I cut a piece out and with liberal amounts of decal fix covered the premade tarp. When it was dry I matted it down. TBH I don't even know it that camo was even used in the desert.

B

Brad9826

Thanks for quick response, fair play, I think it adds variation, as for authenticity for it in the setting i don't know either, but I still like it great stuff and thanks again, (Have 8 green devils to do, hence the question) :thumb2::thumb2:

First Name
Marcello
Scottie, another superb result so far. Like the base as well, although comes out a little red at the moment. But I know is just a special effect to astonish us all with the end result:tongue-out3:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Scottie, another superb result so far. Like the base as well, although comes out a little red at the moment. But I know is just a special effect to astonish us all with the end result:tongue-out3:
Hi Marcello,

Yes mate it is a bit red at the moment. The base is terracotta coloured air drying clay and the rocks have been shaded with a raw umber to hopefully give a bit of depth later.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Think this is just about done. The base has been finished with an application of very fine sand I was fortunate enough to work in a company with its own foundry. I also used for the first tome AK's crackle finish, I'm not a great one for after market products but I have tried to replicate cracked soil on a few occasions without much success so thought I would give it a punt. Next various passes with an airbrush, dry brushing and addition of a few bits of scrub.
As always comments most welcome apologies again for the bad pictures.DSCF1446.JPGDSCF1447.JPGDSCF1448.JPGDSCF1449.JPGDSCF1450.JPG

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4203

Wow, that's excellent; the detail is incredible. The photos are good quality for me as well :thumb2:

Oh also, welcome to the forum :smiling2:
Blair