Newbie's problems when airbrushing

K

karoliens

It appears that oven/grill cleaner strips paint quite well but the primer was left intact. Therefore I wet sanded it with 2000 grit sandpaper and do not know what to do next. Should I just lay first coat of paint on the sanded primer since it looks smooth now. Or should I apply one more coat of primer (which will be rough again and will need sanding) and then apply paint? I know that main purpose of primer is show defects and increase paint adhesion and also make colour stand out a bit more if the primer is the same colour. But now I wondering if it was even necessary to prime as the plastic of the model was white already and did not have any defects. As for adhesion enamels adhere to the plastic quite well. In that way primer kind of looses its' purpose.

M

m1ks

The primer serves 2 purposes, to give an even coat to allow to check for defects and a good base for the paint.
I've painted enamel straight onto plastic when I first started modelling and it sticks well enough so the answer is.
If you're happy that the surface is smooth and defect free go ahead and paint onto it.
Definitely go for a new tin of paint though, it sounds like your other one isn't right