North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi everyone,

Do any of you ex MM's members remember this dio?....it was slated for the North African GB.

367660.jpg

Well, it was abandoned halfway and I thought of reviving it. The initial paring will continue as below...which is the Panzerjager I and not the Semovente and some of the components from the accompanying figure boxes most notably the donkey.

359415.jpg364402.jpg364403.jpg364404.jpg364405.jpg

The Panzerjager has been built and competed as an individual display at this years MALCOM and garnered a bronze but I will still take you through its build...

387474.jpg

Let's start with its contents...

359417.jpg359418.jpg

Standard Italeri instructions and sprue tree. The tracks were painted with earth brown base.

359637.jpg359638.jpg

In the next post construction will begin.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi again,

I proceeded to assemble the parts for the lower hull starting with the tow hook, rear torsion bar for the idler assemblies then the transmission...

361210.jpg 361203.jpg

With the transmission and firewall I fitted the seat, stearing handles, the gun shield supports and ammo storage bin...I sanded away pin marks on the floor.

361202.jpg 361191.jpg

Here I have used the vinyl perforated sheet for the exhaust shroud which tended to split. Later I would replace it witha used electric shaver guard. I cleaned up the gun shield and upper hull of any flash.

361190.jpg 361189.jpg

So far everything is straight forward.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard,
Can't say I remember this one. Why was it slated?

Hi Scottie, in this context slated is meant for it was planned for or scheduled for the GB. In this case it didn't make it and was shelved.

Cheers,
Richard

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Scottie, in this context slated is meant for it was planned for or scheduled for the GB. In this case it didn't make it and was shelved.

Cheers,
Richard
Ok mate no worries, I thought it had received adverse comments which I would find surprising for any of your builds.

Reactions: JR
D

Daniel Horvath

Hi there Richard is nice to see another Afrika project next to mien ! The tank looks awesome! Very much looking forward to see this dio comes alive ! Good luck with the rest! Best regards Danny

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Like Scottie I don't remember this and was also wondering why it was slated. Very inventive to use the shaver foil. Look forward to seeing the Dio come together.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Daniel and Jim, good to see you here. It's about time I do something without jungle and leaves. The shaver foil was by accident...just happen to need a replacement and saw that the mesh had a similar dot arrangement as the kit part.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I used an off white acrylic to spray the interior...

361283.jpg

Then I added the jerrycan bracket, extinguisher, hook and tool box to the fender...

361282.jpg

The hull too had a storage bracket installed after fitting the given mesh. I also decided on attaching all tools and spare tracks.

361281.jpg

Both the top and bottom hull were mated. The gap wasn't there when I pressed down and brush on glue along the seam. It is only dry fitted for now. You can see the exhaust shaver foil cover replacement.

361279.jpg

Test fitted the gun shield...

361278.jpg361760.jpg

The gun assembly went without a hitch. I only made sure that seam lines were sanded down.

361759.jpg361758.jpg361757.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, this is my favorite part of painting...messing up and playing dirty. After coating with future I soaked the interior with turpentine and with a brush loaded with a mix of olive drab, brown and black I touched spots and let the paint spread.

361766.jpg

I then followed up with darker tones of the same color with a stiff old brush and finally fifnishing with very dark grey for paint chips.

361767.jpg361769.jpg361770.jpg361761.jpg

I carefully picked out the shells with a sharp tipped paint brush with as little brass paint at the tip so it doesn't flow over the sides of the shell casing. Finished with a light pin wash.

361771.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Hi Richard, seems you are on a roll lately ey? I agree with Jim, nice start and the interior looks good!

Cheers

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
And yet again another fantastic WIP.... i can't wait to see more... i'll make in the future a desert Diorama ... so i'm taking notes...

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I remember it, but thought you had set it aside due to low mojo. Good to see it return. PaulE

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Wouter :tears-of-joy: ya an old roll...

Greg...just your luck as the dio itself is still a WIP. Not huge but slightly larger than a vignette...a "vigdio" :tears-of-joy:

Dave S...it so happens there's a GB on so reviving and rehashing.

Paul.... this is a left over from a stalled GB from MM when a member who initially started it disappeard and either Tim...God Bless Him or John R took over the duties. By then I had switched to something else.

Cheers,
Richard

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Richard - a very nice AFV, nicely weathered with the Pzgrey showing tnrough.