Not a GB Defiant

• Thread starter It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong
  • Start date
I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Hi

Turn your back for a couple of months and when you come back the Falklands have been abandoned! (Again) (I wonder how long it will take Argentina to work out that we have no more strike carriers?:wink:smiling3:.

I'm a newbie here but this thread has inspired me to dig out this:

Can I play too please?

Andy

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Welcome to the forum, feel free to join in here, I'm glad the forum and the people on it has inspired you, looking forward to seeing your progress :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
A most excellent subject if I may say so. I myself have just finished a Fairey Battle and shall be watching your progress on this one with interest.

Cheers

Steve

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Many thanks John. There is a good reason why I haven't tackled this kit before (honest). Spot the missing piece:-

Time to break out the plasticard...

Andy

F

Fenlander

Time to break out the plasticard...
That is what we like to hear, not throw it away because a minor piece like half a wing is missing, naaaa, Time to break out the plasticard.... Love it

Welcome Andy, really look forward to see how you sort this out.

B

Bunkerbarge

It could be crash landed in a field with the wing buried under the soil!!!

P

peter61_uk

...........have you checked down the back of the sofa ?????

Cheers to All

Peter

P

peter61_uk

\ said:
HiTurn your back for a couple of months and when you come back the Falklands have been abandoned! (Again) (I wonder how long it will take Argentina to work out that we have no more strike carriers?:wink:smiling3:.

I'm a newbie here but this thread has inspired me to dig out this:

Can I play too please?

Andy
Andy,

I think our government, in the defence review gave Argentinians until 2019 to take over down their...............and even then we'll be sharing with the French.............and you can never really be sure which side they will be on..........

Cheers to All

Peter

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Andy

Looking forward to this build for 2 reasons:

1. The Defiant brings back a lot of childhood memories of the old airfix kit

2. I'm really curious to see how you'll tackle the missing wing part!

All the best with it. If you fabricate the upper wing from plastic card I'll give you 5 stars there and then!!!

Paul

W

wanna_be_aviator

watching and learning... watching and leaning. By the way, welcome to the forum mate! You couldn't have found a better bunch! Good luck on the missing wing, I am sure you are gonna pull that one through.

B

Bunkerbarge

I think the wing is going to be quite fascinating. I would probably have gone for a filler route but a lot of us would have simply thrown it away or, as I said, stuck it in a diorama with one wing missing or damaged.

Good luck.

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

\ said:
That is what we like to hear, not throw it away because a minor piece like half a wing is missing, naaaa, Time to break out the plasticard.... Love itWelcome Andy, really look forward to see how you sort this out.
Throw it away?!!! I've still got pieces of builds from when I was 10 or 11 (you never know when something may come in useful).

Andy

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

\ said:
...........have you checked down the back of the sofa ?????Cheers to All

Peter
Errm, actually I bought it knowing this piece was missing! eBay will be my downfall.

Andy

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Thank you everybody for the warm welcome.

I have made a start; not with the missing piece, but with the wheel well. This comes on a big, thick, full-length pour stub and would have taken ages to saw through, so I used the dremel and promptly cut through the floor (which actually didn't have that much detail). So it was out with the plasticard and microstrip:-

A bit heavy, but I'm happy.

Andy

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

I have now started on the wing. Trial fitting of the existing upper wing half shows that a lot of grinding down needs to be done to accept the well (you can see bright light through the plastic). As for the replacement wing, I copied some spars and ribs from a card model found on t'internet. A lot of bodging is required to get them in and make them look like they might do the job. Left the whole lot overnight to dry and then on with the skinning this morning:-

Andy

Last edited:
F

Fenlander

Impressive start Andy and just the way I would have gone about it ( :shocking: I wouldn't even know where to start lol)

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Time for an update. The new wing has been trimmed and sanded and I've sorted out the (quite basic) cockpit. The turret basket was a bit of a 'mare to fold up and glue and was actually easier to assemble after it had broken in half:surprise:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking real good so far. I like the way you're tackling the wing.

Cheers

P

P

peter61_uk

That's quite impressive Andy............. Personally my feet have been well and truly in the "chuck it in the bin camp" ...............

But I'm going to keep an eye on this one............. I'm looking forward to seeing it finished............

Cheers

Peter

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Interior painting took no time at all (due to lack of detail) and the fuselage halves just click together... :laughing:

Andy