Old slate roof

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I've been working on an old ruin the last week and I've just finished the roof I think it looks ok but there's something about it I can't put my finger on it so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone can see what's there or not

Here's a picture View attachment 118138

image.jpg

J

John Rixon

Bit of moss perhaps? And it you really want to be pernickety, some rusty nail heads would deffo be in attendance!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think it just looks too clean Alan, once it's weathered it should look great, and plenty of rubble on the floor.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I was thinking about moss and I do have some fine powder I could use then give it a wash of green but I'll try that on a bit of plasticard first to see if it looks ok

The nail idea I did toy with but I thought the colour of the roof would camouflage it

Thanks for you input:smiling3:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Alan, the ones on their own on the top look as though they are in mid air, so to speak, and should have slid off.

To be totally slate/tile rivet counting, the overlaps should be far more than you have shown, round about 1/2 to 1/3 of the tiles should be covered by the one on top of it.

The weathering looks fine to me.

J

John Rixon

I forgot how much you want for the 110...:oops: will pay as soon as I know!!

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Alan, the ones on their own on the top look as though they are in mid air, so to speak, and should have slid off.
To be totally slate/tile rivet counting, the overlaps should be far more than you have shown, around half the tiles should be covered by the one on top of it.

The weathering looks fine to me.
It's a kit mate I didn't make it so I can't do anything about that :D

D

Deleted member 3568

I think maybe the dark between the slates is too dark, or maybe too wide, other than that it looks good to me.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I think it just looks too clean Alan, once it's weathered it should look great, and plenty of rubble on the floor.
Give ma a chance mate it's not on the base yet :D :p

The base will have all the rubble, I have to scratch some roof pieces and put bits of other timber lying around :smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I think maybe the dark between the slates is too dark, or maybe too wide, other than that it looks good to me.
Cheers Ken that's just the photo angle I shot , it's not that dark in real view:smiling3:

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
looks fine to me, better than i could do thats for sure

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Alan

I think your ruined building looks very good. The technique is very well applied but for me I think the slates are the wrong colour. Aren't slates... well, slate grey? It's true they can be stained red with rust but where's the rust coming from? If it were me I'd reverse the colours - make the slates a base of dark grey, dry brush with light grey (for the edges/broken parts) and then add the staining. Red for the rust from nails and green slimy stuff for moss etc. I may even put in the odd subtle blueish stain.

Like I said the technique is faultless for me the slates are the wrong colour.

Looks very good by-the-way

Cheers

P

Last edited by a moderator:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Hi Alan
I think your ruined building looks very good. The technique is very well applied but for me I think the slates are the wrong colour. Are'nt slates... well, slate grey? It's true they can be stained red with rust but where's the rust coming from. If it were me I'd reverse the colours - make the slates a base of dark grey, dry brush with light grey (for the edges/broken parts) and then add the staining. Red for the rust from nails and green slimy stuff for moss etc. I may even put in the odd subtle blueish stain.

Like I said the technique is faultless for me the slates are the wrong colour.

Looks very good by-the-way

Cheers

P
Cheers Paul , it's a wrong wording on my part , the roof tiles are quite thick so I painted them as the brick type you can get hence the red brown colour :smiling3:

The dark patches are green they just haven't shown up very well , maybe due to the dark colour underneath:smiling3:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Paul , it's a wrong wording on my part , the roof tiles are quite thick so I painted them as the brick type you can get hence the red brown colour
Ah, 'Old Ceramic Tiled Roof'. Well, then i think they're fine. You could continue to add detail - moss etc but essentially they're in a good place.

Cheers

P

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Ah, 'Old Ceramic Tiled Roof'. Well, then i think they're fine. You could continue to add detail - moss etc but essentially they're in a good place.
Cheers

P
That's the word I was looking for , ceramic, :D cheers Paul , thanks for your input :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 3568

I find that a lot Alan you take a photo of something you think looks great and it's a completely different colour in the pic

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
It's a kit mate I didn't make it so I can't do anything about that :D
OOPS!

Should have gone to Spec Saver.....I should have realised, if you had scratch built it, it would have been spot on.

Incidently, and not that it matters one jot. The tiles won't be ceramic, but plain oven fired clay.

S

Stevekir

I agree about the top tiles which would have slid off long ago, and the need to overlap them (slope-wise) more to make sure that the gaps between tiles (left-right-wise) have more than a full tile under them, otherwise rain would penetrate. But nice model.

Seepage: | |

----------------

----------------

----------------

Rain will seep through the slope-wise join in the middle tile between its neighbours, between the lower end of the top tile and the upper end of the bottom tile. The lower end of the top tile must overlap the upper end of the bottom tile.

(I drew a diagramme of this to refresh my memory, so give it here if you want to go to the bother of working through it!) On the other hand, I think it is not obsessive to get things close ot what they are in reality, because that sort of detail makes a model convincing.

(If anyone lusts to know about undercloaking, feel free to ask, or not!)

A tip on slates (real slates): Coming from a place with slate rooves (Aberdeen), real slates have a nibbled edge all round. A give-away for artificial slates is they are cut cleanly.

Oh Oh! The tiles did not come out properly. Here is what they should have been:

View attachment 118139

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
OOPS!
Should have gone to Spec Saver.....I should have realised, if you had scratch built it, it would have been spot on.

Incidently, and not that it matters one jot. The tiles won't be ceramic, but plain oven fired clay.
I should be pleased it's painted in a way that makes it look like built it as it's an old airfix moulded thing :D

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I agree about the top tiles which would have slid off long ago, and the need to overlap them (slope-wise) more to make sure that the gaps between tiles (left-right-wise) have more than a full tile under them, otherwise rain would penetrate. But nice model.
Seepage: | |

----------------

----------------

----------------

Rain will seep through the slope-wise join in the middle tile between its neighbours, between the lower end of the top tile and the upper end of the bottom tile. The lower end of the top tile must overlap the upper end of the bottom tile.

(I drew a diagramme of this to refresh my memory, so give it here if you want to go to the bother of working through it!) On the other hand, I think it is not obsessive to get things close ot what they are in reality, because that sort of detail makes a model convincing.

(If anyone lusts to know about undercloaking, feel free to ask, or not!)

A tip on slates (real slates): Coming from a place with slate rooves (Aberdeen), real slates have a nibbled edge all round. A give-away for artificial slates is they are cut cleanly.

Oh Oh! The tiles did not come out properly. Here is what they should have been:

View attachment 129705
Your right Steve but this was built by a polish emigrant , :D