Operation Frankton

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Not sure if this is in the right 'section' but ;

Operation Frankton was a commando raid on shipping in the German occupied French port of Bordeaux in southwest France during the Second World War. The raid was carried out by a small unit of Royal Marines known as the Royal Marines Boom Patrol Detachment (RMBPD), part of Combined Operations inserted by HMS Tuna (N94), the RMBPD would later form the Special Boat Service.
The plan was for six canoes to be taken to the area of the Gironde estuary by submarine. The twelve men would then paddle by night to Bordeaux. On arrival they would attack the docked cargo ships with limpet mines and then escape overland to Spain. Twelve men from no.1 section were selected for the raid; including the commanding officer, Herbert 'Blondie' Hasler.

The RP models 'model' depicts 'Blondie' Hasler with Bill sparks in their canoe 'Catfish', paddling away. I decided to depict 'my 'build' of these two as they are paddling up the Gironde Estuary, after some research on Google, it appears that the estuary and river are a brown / golden sand colour due to the rich sediment bed. The base build thread can be seen here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/gironde-river.29095/

The canoe has been sprayed with Tamiya XF-69 and then a custom mix of Flat green and JGSDF green, then misted with both colours, after the black had been masked with Panzer masking putty. Rope has been painted Tamiya desert yellow and then stained/washed with Vallejo cheek glaze and a black wash. The front and rear plates were painted in silver, but after checking references, have now been repainted in a steel/black colour. Compass has been painted gloss black, and just needs the needle painting in then the bevel sealed with gloss, or Vallejo water.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Figures have been sprayed black in preparation for painting.

The kit is now out of production but can still be found on ebay -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...die.TRS0&_nkw=rp+models+1/35+blondie&_sacat=0

J

John Rixon

Not sure if this is in the right 'section' but ;

Operation Frankton was a commando raid on shipping in the German occupied French port of Bordeaux in southwest France during the Second World War. The raid was carried out by a small unit of Royal Marines known as the Royal Marines Boom Patrol Detachment (RMBPD), part of Combined Operations inserted by HMS Tuna (N94), the RMBPD would later form the Special Boat Service.
The plan was for six canoes to be taken to the area of the Gironde estuary by submarine. The twelve men would then paddle by night to Bordeaux. On arrival they would attack the docked cargo ships with limpet mines and then escape overland to Spain. Twelve men from no.1 section were selected for the raid; including the commanding officer, Herbert 'Blondie' Hasler.

The RP models 'model' depicts 'Blondie' Hasler with Bill sparks in their canoe 'Catfish', paddling away. I decided to depict 'my 'build' of these two as they are paddling up the Gironde Estuary, after some research on Google, it appears that the estuary and river are a brown / golden sand colour due to the rich sediment bed. The base build thread can be seen here - http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/gironde-river.29095/

The canoe has been sprayed with Tamiya XF-69 and then a custom mix of Flat green and JGSDF green, then misted with both colours, after the black had been masked with Panzer masking putty. Rope has been painted Tamiya desert yellow and then stained/washed with Vallejo cheek glaze and a black wash. The front and rear plates were painted in silver, but after checking references, have now been repainted in a steel/black colour. Compass has been painted gloss black, and just needs the needle painting in then the bevel sealed with gloss, or Vallejo water.

View attachment 289058 View attachment 289059 View attachment 289060

Figures have been sprayed black in preparation for painting.

The kit is now out of production but can still be found on ebay -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xrp+models+1/35+blondie.TRS0&_nkw=rp+models+1/35+blondie&_sacat=0
That'd surely be the same Blondie Hasler that designed the most succsessful and widely used self steering system for long distance sailing?

J

Jens Andrée

Nice work and I love the history behind your build!
This is how schools should liven up boring history classes, especially for those who are struggling with finding any interest in the subject.
History is fantastic when you get to tell a story, not just read about it!

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
So I have blocked in the smock colour and airbrushed on the flesh tones;

IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1440.JPG

Painted in bills had and scarf;

IMG_1439.JPG IMG_1438.JPG IMG_1437.JPG

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Steve,
Just joined the site, refugees from the Military Modelling site. Being a former Royal Marine and having been attached to the SBS in the early 80's know of this raid very well. Whilst serving at RM Poole, ( Home of the SBS) I met both Hasler and Sparks at the unveiling of the Operation Frankton Memorial in RM Poole. I also attend the memorial services in Bordeaux every December. Have also walked the route that Hasler and Sparks walked from Blaye to Ruffec on their epic escape journey. I live about 45 minutes from part of the route and one of the farms that they stayed at.
IMG-20170612-WA0039.jpg
IMG-20170612-WA0036.jpg

This is just part of the memorial stones at Pont du Grave, At the Estuary of the Gironde. If ever in the Bordeaux area well worth a visit. Plus there is a plaque at Hanger 14, ( now named Frankton Hanger) I have more photographs if anyone is interested on more information plus the German Navy HQ where two of the Marines were shot,

Cheers Mike

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Mike,
Thanks for the info, very interesting. I must get back to finishing of his little vignette

Steve

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Steve
Heroic story. The base looks good. I have not used the Vallejo water but is appears to work well. Canoe is nice and I look forward to the figures being completed.
Jim

J

Jay-BFG

Enjoyed doing mine, it’s a great detailed kit. I depicted mine at night (which is when they would have paddled)

Not wishing to be pedantic, but it’s a kayak not a canoe :smiling3:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Enjoyed doing mine, it’s a great detailed kit. I depicted mine at night (which is when they would have paddled)

How did you depict them at night, its only a state of reflectiveness of light , surely ? :thinking::tears-of-joy:, unless you panited everything black !! oh and from Wiki - The plan was for six kayaks (called "canoes" by the British) lol :smiling5::smiling5::tears-of-joy:

J

Jay-BFG

Don’t judge me on the water, it was my first attempt and I used silicone, but it wasn’t as clear as I hoped

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi this may help I didn't mean to hijack you post Steve sorry.

Canoes and kayaks are classified by letters and numbers. The letter refers to the type of boat being used, and the number refers to the number of paddlers in the boat. While there are various kinds of canoes and kayaks for different water activities, water conditions, and skill levels, the boat classifications generally stick to a common letter and number system. For example, a typical canoe with one paddler would be defined as C1 (solo). A canoe with two paddlers would be defined as C2 (tandem). While typical canoes have an open deck (meaning the top of the boat, and consequently the inside of the boat, is open to the elements) some canoes used in competitions or harsher water conditions can have a closed cockpit, therefore altering the classifications. Typical canoes normally have an open deck, whereas kayaks normally have a closed deck. The differences : open decks expose the top and inside of the boat to the world, while closed decks cover the top and inside of the boat. Paddlers in a canoe normally sit one of two ways: sitting or kneeling. When sitting, the canoe paddler sits on a seat and places their knees against the top edge and rim of the boat. When kneeling, the canoe paddler positions themselves closer to the front of the seating, and wedges their knees against the sides of the boat for stability. Paddlers in kayaks usually sit lower to the hull of the boat in a cockpit, and have their legs stretched forward inside the kayak, with their knees resting on supportive thigh braces. In a canoe, the paddler uses a single-blade paddle. Kayak paddlers usually use double bladed paddles .

Pete :cool:

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi this may help I didn't mean to hijack you post Steve sorry.

Canoes and kayaks are classified by letters and numbers. The letter refers to the type of boat being used, and the number refers to the number of paddlers in the boat...................... In a canoe, the paddler uses a single-blade paddle. Kayak paddlers usually use double bladed paddles .

Pete :cool:

:face-with-head-bandage::face-with-head-bandage::tears-of-joy: