Paint does not go into panel lines

K

karoliens

I am experimenting with black glossy paint on car's bumper but when I airbrushing it seems that paint does not go into panel lines and I could see white colour where those panel lines are. I just covered one coat but I am sure that it should cover those panel lines as well. Could it be because paint is too thin or something else? The part was sanded with 600 grit before the coat. And by the way when I paint matt it is totally fine. Thank you for you help.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Difficult to say, but I think it's likely the paint is too thick rather than too thin? What paint is it and what do you thin it with?

K

karoliens

It is revell enamel and I thin it 3:2 with turpentine. I doubt that it is too thick as it is already difficult to spray it without runs.

First Name
Alex
Have you thought about brushing over the panel lines, then spraying over it? it's a bit of a bodge, but that's probably what I would do first. I would say also it depends if the paint is oil based or water based, i've had problems when brush painting with enamels before where i haven't cleaned the surface properly and the paint wont hold, because oil residue has been left after touching the surface with my finger. Maybe try giving it a really good clean with a cotton swab as well.

K

karoliens

It was cleaned really thoroughly. I do not thing that is the issue as matt paints cover panel lines just fine. Hm...