Panzer II, Afrika Korps

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so im a bit stuck with the M60 cos ive given it an oil wash, i always like to give it at least a week to dry off before doing anything else to it

so thought id start something else to keep me occupied, was going to do a car but thought id do something else that fits in with the GB, and i can use the little dio base im going to build for the M60

so heres an oldie.....according to Scalemates it originally came out in late '60s, got improved/repopped in 1971 which is the stamp that this carries in the hull, think its been in the catalogue ever since!! definatly gets tagged as a 'classic kit' i think

obviously not up to modern standards detail wise but im still impressed with the moulding, no flash etc, proves that if you invest in the tooling and you look after it, it will last a long time

plan is to do it as an Afrika Korps vehicle with the few figures that come with it, nothing special

View attachment 114801

View attachment 114802

View attachment 114803

View attachment 114804

View attachment 114805

View attachment 114806

ive done my usual trick of adding some mass to the hull and bonding in a nut so i canuse some threaded rod as a handle, the weight will make it sit on the tracks a bit better. i usually use some big nuts but the hull is so small ive used something else......12 gauge lead balls, left overs from back in the day when i used to cast lead bullets of various calibres and reload my own ammo

View attachment 114807

35mqr2u.jpg

66ya6e.jpg

2ib1bhk.jpg

wco0lf.jpg

se8sr7.jpg

oh33sy.jpg

2ujp8yh.jpg

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
so sorting out the paint for the M60 was a pain.....doing it for a tiddler Panzer was easy.....its German so its RAL1027 lol lol

i had a go at preshading again but i used a darker brown as its a darker yellow than the sand colour on the M60....not sure how well it went but its going to get a brownish oil wash soon so it will get blended/highlighted anyway

its shiny cos its had a coat of Klear for the decals and to make it ready for the wash

not impressed with Tamiya instructions for the decals, a little confusing since its all in Japanese lol.......so ive had to use a little artistic license lol

View attachment 114989

View attachment 114990

a1h9y1.jpg

igyec2.jpg

D

dougie

\ said:
so sorting out the paint for the M60 was a pain.....doing it for a tiddler Panzer was easy.....its German so its RAL1027 lol lol
i had a go at preshading again but i used a darker brown as its a darker yellow than the sand colour on the M60....not sure how well it went but its going to get a brownish oil wash soon so it will get blended/highlighted anyway

its shiny cos its had a coat of Klear for the decals and to make it ready for the wash

not impressed with Tamiya instructions for the decals, a little confusing since its all in Japanese lol.......so ive had to use a little artistic license lol

View attachment 126159

View attachment 126160
Coming along nicely, you are getting there despite the instructions. I'm sure the next stages will work well

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
I think most modellers have built this kit in there time it's a classic and for its age a really good kit..like what you've done with yours and look forward to seeing more

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
now the M60 is done its time to crack on with this

think i went a bit heavy handed with the oils, its had a coat of matt varnish so i cant go back and rework the oils so im going to live with it

View attachment 115484

View attachment 115485

next up is road wheels and tracks, and some figures

zx2sgj.jpg

2iih5sn.jpg

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I have this very kit as well,and nice to see it build into some thing nice, ;)