papa 695's EE Lightning

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I'm doing this in 1/72 and just finishing the decals. I would caution you on the upper wing stencils and roundels. I applied the roundels first then the so step line and discovered an overlap that needed trimming with a scalpel on wing. Maybe I was applying them in the wrong position but I compared this against the Lightning at Cosford and couldn't see where I had gone wrong. I urge you to apply the no step stencil decal and the roundels after.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Did the No Step decal go underneath the roundel on your 1/48 version? When I did the 1/72 version the black line overlapped onto the roundel and needed trimming. There's a lot of decals to apply, eh?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Did the No Step decal go underneath the roundel on your 1/48 version? When I did the 1/72 version the black line overlapped onto the roundel and needed trimming. There's a lot of decals to apply, eh?
Yes the no step did go under the roundel Rick, and your not kidding about a lot of decals

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Very nice frightning that. To right about all those decals. There are hundreds of the little buggers!

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Wow, that is looking very smart Ian. I was reading the March Flypast magazine which had an article about flying the Lightning, very interesting and amazing fighter for it's time.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks very nice indeed Ian.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Very nicely weathered Ian,not overdone at all,just right imho! Very nice looking build1

L

Laurie

Nice cockpit Ian. Like the figure painting. Are the belts with the set or extras. They look very authentic.

Beautiful aircraft. This was the best of British unique and at the cutting edge. The simplicity of the fuselage but with an artistic look. Those twin burners at the rear. Like the Harrier all built in in the smallest frame possible. This was a plane to be seen as a young boy.

Laurie

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Nice cockpit Ian. Like the figure painting. Are the belts with the set or extras. They look very authentic.Beautiful aircraft. This was the best of British unique and at the cutting edge. The simplicity of the fuselage but with an artistic look. Those twin burners at the rear. Like the Harrier all built in in the smallest frame possible. This was a plane to be seen as a young boy.

Laurie
Hi Laurie thanks for the nice comment. The belts are with the kit, infact they are part of the figure.

Yes they are a great aircraft can just remember seeing them as a kid at Finningley at air shows, but go and see one of them at Bruntinthorpe doing a fast taxi run from time to time.