papa 695's King George the V

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks great! I can almost hear the Gulls and taste the sea spray!

Ian M

A

AJay

WOW! Ian, you've made a fantastic job of this ship build and I really look forward to seeing it in the sea base. Very inspirational!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, that is one nice looking ship, very neat and sea looks great, nicely done. I found with my PT boat that the practice was relatively stress free......The hard bit is committing to the 'real thing'....lol!

If it helps, take a look at some aerial pictures of KG5. I've seen some models of ships where the spread of the bow waves are far too wide, rather like a too wide arrow head. Try and keep the wave spread a bit tighter to the side of the ship.

Also, at the stern there is usually a flat area of water before the screws start to effect the surface of the sea. Again, have a blimp at some pictures of the battleship.

Just for effect, how about putting a slight lean on the ship and possibly bow down? Might make it look more realistic than sat square and flat.....

From what I can see you don't need any tips on silicone work.....I couldn't anyway, 'cause I'm a newbie too!

Regarding the base, I wouldn't be too concerned about the sea colour....Even the Pacific can be anything from grey to azure blue. I just painted the base various shades of blue, then applied the clear silicone, that way the base colour came through the stuff real nice!

Best of luck.

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Ian Alex for the kind words. Ron i would like to thankyou for the advice i will take a look on youtube and will take your advice about the position of the ship.

M

mobear

your ship is awesome and the water looks good so far,you started after me on lusty and you are nearly done lol,fantastic

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ian, I just remembered some very important pointers regarding the use of silicone. I've used the stuff off and on for most of my working life and here are a couple of tips....Presuming it's not too late, that is, and your sea is complete!

When shaping the silicone don't use wood or plastic for shaping, these will drag the surface, always use metal and keep it dipped in water. This will give you a nice smooth finish where required and not drag it. Then dispense with the water for the rough stuff.

Finally, please don't be tempted to lick your finger and use that. Believe me, people do, but it is an acid and is nasty stuff and has to be respected.....

Good luck,

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks again Ron not started the sea yet sill finishing the base ( wooden frame around the polysyrene ) and a perspex case to keep it dust free when completed

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That Sea base looks fantastic! I love the way that the sea is lapping over the frame. Most would of trimmed it to keep it within the frame but I love that kind of thing where the diorama is trying to escape its boundaries.

Wheres the rigging? Is it to fine to see in the pictures.

Ian M

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Rigging not fitted yet didn't want to damage it will put it on last. Got the idea of lapping the water over the edge after jumping into the bath ha ha Was going to trim it later but like you Ian i do like it so will keep it on

M

mobear

maybe you should experiment a bit with white dashes on the overlapping water,its a thing of beauty youve built mate lovin it

mobear