Part 1 Supermarine Spitfire MkVb

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Blue plastic (they called it something like 'impact resistant'), came in a bag? You're showing your age if it was that one :smiling3:
Cheers

Steve
I remember my man buying me one of them when I was in short trousers ( came in a bag with card picture on top.

Showing my age

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Where I am up to now.

Well I took Stonas advice over the wing straps and took off. Cockpit is finished and painted/ seat belts painted Khaki xf49/ and xf5 mix and all given a light dry brush with 502 Abteilung ( wash brown) I'm quite happy with this end result I've acheived.

Cockpit in and very little glue needed as very good fit.

Buttoned up and I by mistake knocked the retention wires on the Sutton harness but got it tidied and al is good now. Wing joined and needed little glue or filler at all ( impressed)

Vokes air filter fitted.

Pics

Comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I remember my man buying me one of them when I was in short trousers ( came in a bag with card picture on top.
Showing my age

Robert
It wasn't impact resistant, at least not to the impact of a pellet from my .22 BSA Meteor :smiling3:

I've still got the steel target holder that came with the rifle in the loft, with the rifle, both 40 odd years old and both still working! I had the rifle 'refurbished' about fifteen years ago.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Dave
\ said:
Coming on beautifully now robert , it looks a great kit. The pe belts look awesome and are the first thing that people notice (or notice missing) when they see a completed cockpit . I really must get myself a Spit of some sorts , surprisingly I've only built one since I was a kid and I only ever did 2 back then (venerable Airfix VB JE-J ,and my fave at the time ,the old Revell 1/32 with retracting wheels and removeable engine panels !!) . This one has shown me how nice the Tamiya 1/48 s are . cheers tony
The new Airfix Spitfires are better than the Tamiya in my opinion.Which makes them fantastic value for money.Ive yet to build the Eduard mk9 in my stash.But that looks to be a contender for best 1/48 spitfire kit as well.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
That cockpit looks well used.
I am trying to show the use of the particular aircraft portrayed as daily use grime etc and dirt accumulated.

I know the ground boys would have kept the spits as best they could but with the mats siege I thought of the area, daily scrambles etc which I'm going to try to portray

Cheers

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I finally got some primer on this one and boy what a result from the primer I used the new Stynylez grey primer down on the Tamiya Vb and boy am I impressed. Straight out the bottle after shake and no need to thin

Great stuff ( I would say on par with Vallejo) but I only used maybe 10/12 drops to do the full 1/48 model. Cleans easy too from my eclipse.

Well I started working on hthr jet this morning but still got a ways to go before priming, so out came the spit.

I've only lightly primed as I doing want to los the wonderful detail

Pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

Looks like the primer has gone down well. :smiling3:

It will soon be coming on in leaps and bounds. :smiling3:

Great work so far.

F

Fenlander

Bout time you got some airbrushing done :D . Looking good Robert.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Bout time you got some airbrushing done :D . Looking good Robert.
Well after waiting for the China tanker to dock etc and well now got it all going ( work tends to get in the way now ) can't win.

Doing my best to get as much done in the time I have.

Think it's all going to be worth it.

Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Where I am up to now

Well the Vb for a nice coat of primer ( new badger stuff ) pre shaded with 71.057 Vallejo Model air then had a lovely coat undersides of 71.108 Azure Blue ( added 2 drops of 70.951 white and think the azure has come out quite nice now and not sooo blue

Masked up ready for the Mid stone then it's worms to get the dark Earth on

Pics

Comments welcome as always

Robert image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Where I'm upto now

Well after the azure blue I masked the underside and I sprayed Mid stone to the top surfaces. Tamiya suggest you use a mix of XF-59 and XF-60 in equal parts so I made up a small batch and thinned 20% with Tamiya thinners X20A

2 light passes and the colour just sprung out quite nice with the dark panel lines I did earlier ( nice result I thought.

Then whilst drying I started making worms with white tack lots of them.

I'll admit I have never used this method before but I'm led to believe it leaves a nice line on the camo finish and is a lot cheaper than masks. So I hope I'm doing the right thing.I take it I mask up the parts in the pattern I don't want sprayed with wide tape now ( wish me luck )

Pics

Please feel free to leave comments

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 4539

This is coming along nicely Robert.

For masking the area's you need to, simply use some more white tac :smiling3:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
For the next phase in spraying ( did I tell you I got a new compressor ( love me airbrush now!!!! :P :p:D

Well the next phase is dark earth and so I masked the places up I didn't want sprayed. The dig masking tape sticks to the white tak like glue ( or a fly to flypaper so there's no chance of drips getting in.

Tamiya say the dark earth is XF-52 + XF-64 in equal quantities mane thinned with X20A so I'll make me a small batch off. 2/3 light coats should do it.

Pics

Pics Pimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Coming on Robert but make sure you trim off the overhanging bits of masking tape on the white tack sausages , if not when you spray at right angles to the surface its going to give you some straight lines. The masking tap should ideally be on the middle of the sausage so when youre spraying at ninety degress to it the round edge of the white tack gives the feathered effect , as not as much paint gets under the rounded bottom edge. cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Coming on Robert but make sure you trim off the overhanging bits of masking tape on the white tack sausages , if not when you spray at right angles to the surface its going to give you some straight lines. The masking tap should ideally be on the middle of the sausage so when youre spraying at ninety degress to it the round edge of the white tack gives the feathered effect , as not as much paint gets under the rounded bottom edge. cheers tony
Thanks Tony

I got a step by step help from Ralph and have de masked and started to re mask again using just White tac

Glad I never committed to spraying eh

Regards

Robert