Partisan Attack!....1st Blood.

N

noble

Ron the loco looks top notch mate, lovely job indeed can't wait to see this finished.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Scott, I'm getting stuck in now...Until the present Mrs. Ron has other ideas!!

O.K. all, I've managed to do a bit more to the diorama:-

I have started on the railway bridge and done a bit more to the water and foliage. I had an idea a while ago to build an Airfix girder bridge for this dio. but I realised (A) it would be too big and (B) the project was starting to get out of hand and far too complicated. So I have kept the bridge very basic and made it out of scrap balsa.

Plenty to do on it yet but it's a start and I really wanted to see if it was in keeping with the rest and I reckon it's O.K....Wot say you?!!

The next stage will be to finish the bridge, add the ballast and lay the track properly, do the water and add more 'forest'.

I hope you approve thus far and any suggestions are welcome, as long as it's not painful or is physically impossible!

:cheers:

Ron

View attachment 25758

View attachment 25759

View attachment 25760

View attachment 25761

Partisan attack 012.jpg

Partisan attack 013.jpg

Partisan attack 010.jpg

Partisan attack 011.jpg

F

Fenlander

Stunning as always Ron, never ceases to amaze me how you pull these out the bag looking so real. I am doing anything at the moment that will prevent me from starting the base for my GB, really worried about it lol.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the nice comments boys.

I must confess I do enjoy making scenery almost as much as the models. Trouble is with this particular one although I am enjoying making the base, I know what's coming down the track! lol

Graham my dear chap, what a load of nonsense you be uttering, me 'ansom....Go for it, look to nature and just copy. C'mon you can do it boy!

Scott, thanks again. I always appreciate your kind words and all the better for having actually met you at Cosford!

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well someones been a busy laddy!

That base looks the bee's buzzy bits! The Loco looks great to but I know nothing what so ever about them.

Can hardly wait to see what you do to the loco and the rolling stock.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ron

The scenic base is looking great. The bridge looks just right and the water looks superb.

Paul

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Well someones been a busy laddy!That base looks the bee's buzzy bits! The Loco looks great to but I know nothing what so ever about them.

Can hardly wait to see what you do to the loco and the rolling stock.

Ian M
Thanks for that Ian,

I have a reasonable working knowledge of locos 'cos I used to go trainspotting in my spotty youth and this particular type of loco was very common being a bit of a work horse, pull anything sort of beast.

First lesson in identifying.....the wheel configuration on this engine is 2-6-0, which means 2 small bogie wheels in the front, 6 big drive wheels and no rear bogie wheels below the cab. There are various layouts such as 0-6-0 (small tank engines) 4-6-2 (main line express) 2-10-0 (big freight pullers)..the list goes on...

Here endeth the first, and perhaps the only lesson on the subject! lol

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi RonThe scenic base is looking great. The bridge looks just right and the water looks superb.

Paul
Thanks Paul, glad you like it so far. Yes, I think the bridge is just about right too, I didn't want anything big and fancy.

Bit more work to do on the water to give it a good reflective shine, plant a few more trees.

Modify and paint the loco, paint the rolling stock.(should bring the beginning of October!)

Then toot toot, train coming.....!!

Ron

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You definitely got the 'eye' for these small scenes young Ron! Every one you do seems better than the last and this is no exception.

Gern

R

rogue-one

hi ron, wow, this is looking superb! you are indeed very good at these scenic dio bases, mr greenfingers, they look very real.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the words of encouragement chaps, much needed! I especially like the 'Young' bit Dave..I'll get the coffees in when we hopefully meet up next time at Cosford!

O.k., here's the progress from my last post.

Here is the finished, squeaky clean 'Germanized' loco. I added two scratch made smoke deflectors, a bit more pipework to the boiler sides, these were spare landing gear legs from a 1/32 Me 109! and I have plonked an extra bit on top as well. Brush painted (as usual) with Humbrol enamels. Although a figment of my imagination, and a couple of old pictures, I reckon I've just about got away with the conversion, wot d' yer think?

I have done a bit more to the lake and the little stream running down to the bridge, and as you can see the reflections of the bridge and greenery are starting to get more defined.

Next stage is to paint the rolling stock, then weather all the train elements.

Finally, add a few more trees and shrubs to the diorama and lay the track....

Then I can start to really have fun!!

Hope you approve so far...

Ron

View attachment 25801

View attachment 25802

View attachment 25803

View attachment 25804

View attachment 25805

View attachment 25806

Partisan attack 014.jpg

Partisan attack 020.jpg

Partisan attack 029.jpg

Partisan attack 022.jpg

Partisan attack 024.jpg

Partisan attack 017.jpg

N

noble

Lookin good Ron the loco looks spot on and the dio is well cool.

scott

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking really good Ron. The loco alts make it look more German.

Well done, keep up the great work

Paul

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Well Ron I just spent ten minutes going down your build so far and am now,officially,speechless! Fantastic,can't wait to see the loco integrated with all the other bits.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the comments chaps!

Steve, when you say "Integrated with all the other bits." I hope you don't mean what I think you mean, just 'cos I can see smoke approaching in the distance!!!!!!!!! lol

Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very quick update before my nurse tucks me up...

Just had a great piece of luck. I have been scratching my head for suitable OO or 1/72 scale rail track ballast. Everything I looked at in a bag looked too big and unnaturally uniform in colour.

I was wandering around the garden this evening when I came across some small lumps of sun dried dirt. Into the shed I goes, and crumpled them up into very fine dust. I then drizzled it along the track and ran my finger along the sleepers to work it in between them.

The result is spot on, just what I had been wanting....

A couple of pickies for you.

Look out! Here she comes with that needle again. I'm off under the bed, she will never find me th................

View attachment 25809

View attachment 25810

Partisan attack 033.jpg

Partisan attack 031.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Dave, there was the answer....Right by me owl'd feet!!

Ron

If anyone would like to see the finished diorama go to GB summer 2010 completed...Thanks.