Phil's 1/48 Hasegawa Typhoon Mk.Ib car door

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Cheers guys appreciate that, some assembly next all ready foe my dedicated primer airbrush that hopefully I'll be getting for my birthday... fingers crossed.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's a flippin' good looking cockpit.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
As I'm slowing the pace awaiting my new AB, I thought I would scratch build some lighting. Here's what I have done so far.
First of all I made the flat plastic standard light piece concave with the appropriate size round sanding head bit on my battery operated multi tool, hopefully you'll see the effect.
20171128_172604.jpg
20171128_172630.jpg

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Next I prepared some bulbs which were tag ends from the clear parts spruce, I got two pieces of similar size and held them half way in a pin vice while sanding it to a round shape. Now this is fiddly and they ping off into oblivion on a couple of attempts but the result is good as I hope you can see here:
20171128_180420.jpg

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Next I drilled the back of the "bulbs" and glued some copper wire in place and drilled the appropriate size hole through the reflector dish to take it.
20171129_002954.jpg
Next I will glue the tops of the wings on and make some reflectors for the lights before final fit of the bulbs.

J

John Rixon

Wow, those bulbs look fiddly! Great work here, watching with interest.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
20171129_152213.jpg
After painting the whole light area matt black I treated myself to a mince pie and punched a couple of reflectors.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
After looking at the kit light glass they are pretty thick with some distortion which seems a shame after the work that's been done so decided to try the cellotape option.IMG-20171130-WA0007.jpeg
And after trimming...
20171130_231126.jpg
I pre cut some masks to go over the "glass" which will give me the panel line through the centre for when it comes to painting. Hopefully with some gentle care they should look ok.

Super impressed so far! I have both the car door and bubble top Hase Typhoon's in the stash waiting to be built.

The Barracuda cockpit looks good too!

I'm also impressed with the wing lens trick too and it's the first time I've seen it.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Super impressed so far! I have both the car door and bubble top Hase Typhoon's in the stash waiting to be built.

The Barracuda cockpit looks good too!

I'm also impressed with the wing lens trick too and it's the first time I've seen it.
Got the bubbletop myself too, will be nice to do that one with the rockets. Thanks for the comments.

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Thanks for the comments guys, not sure if it will yellow over time to be honest, worst case scenario is it will look good for initial photos and I can always swap for the kit if it happens.
Masking up the frame for the lights was fiddly and still not sure how it's gonna turn out when removed so will have to wait and see I spose. More to follow tomorrow.
Well I've never seen that trick before. Nice one. Have you used it before, any chance of it yellowing over time ?

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
20180320_130012.jpg
Primed and painted with tamiya and Mr color.20180320_130020_001.jpg
...and the start of the decals, this will be DN406 PRF out of Manston Kent. Decals by Techmod.20180320_130007.jpg

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Thanks for the comments guys, not sure if it will yellow over time to be honest, worst case scenario is it will look good for initial photos and I can always swap for the kit if it happens.
Masking up the frame for the lights was fiddly and still not sure how it's gonna turn out when removed so will have to wait and see I spose. More to follow tomorrow.
That’s what I was worried about when I saw the tape-the yellowing and brittleness/cracking over time. Will be interesting to see what happens over long term. Btw, looking good and will be good to see this shape up.
Cheers, John

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Thinking about it. I bet the real Perspex covers went a bit yellow / cloudy over time anyway.