Pigment NOOB!

S

SHAZAD HUSSAIN

I'm about to use pigments for the first time, I've checked out some vids on youtube which seem a bit unclear, Just need to ask when applying pigments do you just directly brush it on to the surface or is anything applied before hand. Also if you don't need to apply anything does it just stick to the surface by itself . Should I apply grass, tufts and leaves etc first or should I apply the pigment first. Cheers

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
It kinda depends on what you want to achieve.

If I'm adding pigment as a mud effect around the underside of an AFV I tend to wash the area with X20 first, then stipple the various pigments on to build up and blend the colours, and to give a muddy texture. I also sometimes drop X20 on afterwards as well to make sure it's fixed.

If i'm applying a dust layer over the top then I tend to put the pigments onto kitchen paper, load up the brush and just "paint" it on, then go over afterwards with another brush and take off any loose pigment. I don't generally "fix" this type of effect.

S

SHAZAD HUSSAIN

Yeh Cheers, I'm doing a diorama base and wanted to get a general brown jungle soil layer using pigment. So I'm sort of wondering If you use anything for it to fix, ie general glue or anything that's made special and also should I apply static grass, plants and tufts first then the pigment. X20 is that the thinner?.

S

SHAZAD HUSSAIN

Cheers Mr Bowcat, I tried that with x20 as a fix worked a treat. Understanding it more now as I use it.

J

Jens Andrée

Depending on what you're after it's sometimes easier to make a mix of pigments and some thinner (I mainly use iso for fast drying but even water can be used with some pigments) and then apply it with a brush in a dipping/stippling motion, if the surface is rough, or just "paint"it on if it's flat and even. That way it binds automatically.