Plastic putty

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Those of you who have used Plastic Putty will know that it can be cleaned up with a damp cloth, cotton bud or even a finger. They will also know that 'damp' is the right word - too wet and you can wipe the putty out of the joint you're trying to fill. If you usually make the cloth damp by putting it in between your lips, then you will also know how 'orrible it tastes!

Solution:

Take a fairly big piece of cloth and fold it so you have about four layers thick. Using a small dropper bottle, drop a little water on to the cloth so it soaks in. You can now take the cloth/cotton bud or whatever you are using to clean the kit and gently rub it over the damp spot on your cloth.

Voila! Instant damp - without the nasty taste!

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Plastic Putty
Which one are you using Dave, Vallejo ? I recently run out of 'Greenstuff' and resorted to my emergency Humbrol, which after painting has sunk ! Whilst I like 'Greenstuff' you can't wipe it down with water.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Col, I'm not sure what you're asking about. I'm not talking about moulding putty, only gap filler and it is the Vallejo one.

I only use it for tiny gaps, usually in a corner such as a wing root or when you've added a 'box' shape to a flat surface, so there's no problem with shrinkage. For bigger gaps I use Squadron Green.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Col, I'm not sure what you're asking about. I'm not talking about moulding putty, only gap filler and it is the Vallejo one.

I only use it for tiny gaps, usually in a corner such as a wing root or when you've added a 'box' shape to a flat surface, so there's no problem with shrinkage. For bigger gaps I use Squadron Green.
That's basically what I normally do. I just wondered if you used something I wasn't aware of. This Mr surfacer stuff sounds interesting, but I've never used it.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Mr. Surfacer is more a thick paint than a putty. You can use it to fill (very) small holes and scratches, but I wouldn’t use it for anything bigger.