Please Read before posting in this thread.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I think there is a need for a forum in here where all aspects of Photography can be discussed and help sought and found.

Still, video, after effects, photo-shop. This would be the place to do it.

Rules of engagement:

Have fun.

show respect.

play nicely

Ian M

C

chezzagaga

is it for models (as its a models forum ) only? or all kinds of photos..e.g. pets, e.t.c. :smiling3:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I have a question when takeing photo's of your model what is the best set up ? as you have seen on my builds there on a table in the modeling room or in the garden when i take the photo's but never seem to get as good a photo as some of you's

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I recall Vailed aka Roman doing a rather good post about photographing models.

I just open the curtains and pull a sheet of card out. I must admit I dont go to to much trouble and normally use my smart phone's camera.

A couple of quick tips? A large sheet of card or heavy paper for a ground and just laid up the wall for a back drop will eliminate the corner shadows on the ground.

A make shift tent made from an old white sheet with the lighting on the out side will give a diffuse light.

The good thing with digital cameras is you can see the result immediately and if its no good make a change and alter the light.

If you can use a tripod!

Ian M

S

Stevekir

I have seen an interesting Light Tent on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-photogra ... 917&sr=8-1

24" tent plus two lights, for only £38

Subject to matters of personal taste, a Light Tent produces professional results with no distracting hard shadows underneath and flat lighting that shows more detail.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
thats tent looks quality me thinks i be getting one of them

First Name
Adrian
I recently got 2, one is 50cm the other 80cm as I do 1:48th I figured I needed the space :smiling3: The 50cm has two lamps and a tripod with it as well.

Just got to wait 2 weeks for my new camera to arrive now to make the most of them :smiling3:

Adrian

S

Stevekir

Looking at it again, and in particular the two example photos (a few beans, and the product in its bag), a shadow still appears underneath. To eliminate that, perhaps a light shining up from under the tent might remove it. The lack of a shadow underneath seems to me to be more important for aircraft models (since tanks and ships don't often fly!)

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
\ said:
I recently got 2, one is 50cm the other 80cm as I do 1:48th I figured I needed the space :smiling3: The 50cm has two lamps and a tripod with it as well.Just got to wait 2 weeks for my new camera to arrive now to make the most of them :smiling3:

Adrian
look forward to seein how it turns out bud

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I would like to remind people that the idea behind this section is to discus the photographs more than the subjects (Which I realise sounds wrong). The section is called PHOTOGRAPHY

Ian M

S

Stevekir

\ said:
I would like to remind people that the idea behind this section is to discus the photographs more than the subjects (Which I realise sounds wrong). The section is called PHOTOGRAPHYIan M
I am not clear. I don't see how a photograph can be discussed without mentioning the subject (by that I assume you don't mean the forum member sending the post but the object in the photo). It seems to me that the purpose behind people posting photos is not just to use a photo to show their work (that seems to be best done in one of the relevant modelling threads as happens at the moment), but to discuss how photographic techniques can be used to do that (eg., camera work, lighting etc.), to help members take better photos. This seems to follow the text in the first post which set up this thread:

"I think there is a need for a forum in here where all aspects (my italics) of Photography can be discussed and help sought and found.

Still, video, after effects, photo-shop. This would be the place to do it."

Would you please clarify what you think this thread should be about. Perhaps you could indicate which posts were outside the scope of this thread.

By the way, I like the recent changes to the categories and to the appearance of the forum. It is by far the most useful forum that I have looked at. Thanks for helping to organise it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The thing is Steve that there is a lot of; Great build, great weathering, lovely model etc sort of comments and not many that are actually discussing the Photograph- The point of discussion should be the PHOTOGRAPH and not the actual object. Exposure, colour, focus, composition and so forth...

I was well ware that my comment would cause a reaction, LOL.

I did write (which I realise sounds wrong).

Its one of these things I have trouble with at times; explaining what I mean. I hope that it is clearer now.

Ian M

S

Stevekir

\ said:
The thing is Steve that there is a lot of; Great build, great weathering, lovely model etc sort of comments and not many that are actually discussing the Photograph- The point of discussion should be the PHOTOGRAPH and not the actual object. Exposure, colour, focus, composition and so forth...I was well ware that my comment would cause a reaction, LOL.

I did write (which I realise sounds wrong).

Its one of these things I have trouble with at times; explaining what I mean. I hope that it is clearer now.

Ian M
All clear now. Exposure, colour, focus, composition and so forth, but not the model itself (that goes elsewhere). Thanks.