Preventing Paint Runs

S

Stevekir

I have made a little machine to minimize the problem of gloss paint running (my copyright 2017):

Paint Machine.jpg

The model part shown has not been painted and is shown for illustration. The device can hold quite large parts. I mainly use Tamiya TS Spray (in a can), glossy. This needs three coats (light, medium and heavy) and the heavy coat, for a high smooth gloss as for a car, must be thick just to the point of running. If a too-thin coat is applied at this stage you will get an orange peel surface. The required thickness is very near to the point of causing runs. My earlier solution was to hold the part in my hand (secured with a clip) and rotate my hand round and back to prevent any drips gathering strength in any one direction.

This took about 15 to 20 minutes and was tedious so I made a machine to do the rotation (attachment). The box took quite a time to make. I had the battery pack for years (it takes 4 AA batteries). The switch is nice. It looks like a mains switch from the 1920s and is made for a doll's house. The drive motor came from:

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/micro-metal-gearmotor-extended-back-shaft

at £5 plus £2.50 postage, 6 V DC, gear motor ratio 1006:1 which takes 4 seconds for one revolution. The attached image below is of a lower ratio. Mine has more gear stages and is beautifully made. It is simply clamped on the top of the box.

Gearmotor_2_of_2_large.JPG

To prevent runs the axis of rotation of the part must be at right angles to the force of gravity and therefore horizontal. Any run that thinks of starting is deflected up and down or round in circle and therefore makes no progress. It works very well.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
If you used a slightly faster motor you could use it for mixing paint!

Pete

S

Stevekir

Brilliant, Steve. Bet you enjoyed making it, too!
Yes, I did. I like using my hands. I am presently designing and will make a hot wire cutter for cutting shapes out of polystyrene etc. foam panels.