Reading the Newspaper

F

Fenlander

painted this lovely 1/35 figure up today. I was going to put him with the UHU but the Amarican soldiers I did to go with are in winter clothing so it wouldn't fit. However, I might still go with this one as I am not too happy with the GIs so I may repaint them fo another project coming soon.

Anyway, not great but a good sculpt and it will look OK from six feet away.....

image_1.jpe

image_6.jpe

image_3.jpe

image_4.jpe

image_5.jpe

image_7.jpe

D

Deleted member 4539

Nicely painted Graham.

I think he is a Punk with that green hair;)

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Nicely painted Graham.
I think he is a Punk with that green hair;)
Well, it isn't really green :sad: I did it dark yellow with a view to dry rushing it with a light colour to make him blond. I then thought that was being racist stereotypical so I went over it with brown. Not sure why it appears a bit green in the pics. :D

Thanks for all the comments guys:smiling3:

0ne48thtel

Nicely painted Graham it looks good from here. The pose with out the paper got me chuckling a little as I had an image of him sat on the karzee and holding a length of loo roll and thinking cripes is that all I have got.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Beautifully painted Graham and so quick! , you only got this a few days ago. I couldnt paint a face like that if I took all year! If you cant get a newspaper you could say hes a fisherman and title it 'the one that got away'!! cheers tony

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great job ,Graham,real like the colors you have used,and very well done with his eyes,

he looks great,very well done, ;)

if you used the Vallejo,dark German yellow,that's why you would have the green tint in his hair,

as its more green than yellow,and that's why I don't use as a base fore German armor :rolleyes:

F

Fenlander

\ said:
great job ,Graham,real like the colors you have used,and very well done with his eyes,
he looks great,very well done, ;)

if you used the Vallejo,dark German yellow,that's why you would have the green tint in his hair,

as its more green than yellow,and that's why I don't use as a base fore German armor :rolleyes:
No it was scale 75 for both yellow and brown. I think it is just the picture because you cannot see any green in real life ;)

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Beautifully painted Graham and so quick! , you only got this a few days ago. I couldnt paint a face like that if I took all year! If you cant get a newspaper you could say hes a fisherman and title it 'the one that got away'!! cheers tony
Thanks Tony, long way to go to get them right but I am happy with this chap. I am trying to develop a quick, simple and repeatable system for painting 1/35 figures because if I am going to develop my diorama building, I need to be able to knock them out to an acceptable standard. He will not be reading a newspaper because it would hide the very nicely sculpted figure. I know what I want him to be doing but not worked out quite how to make it look right yet but getting there;)

S

Stevekir

Very nice painting. Also, I think action figures (people in a pose doing something active rather than just standing or sitting) bring a dio alive.

S

Stevekir

\ said:
Well, it isn't really green :sad: I did it dark yellow with a view to dry rushing it with a light colour to make him blond. I then thought that was being racist stereotypical so I went over it with brown. Not sure why it appears a bit green in the pics. :D
Thanks for all the comments guys:smiling3:
I think there is a green colour cast over the whole image. Look at the "white" bottle tops at the left in the 6th photo. Also a bottle to their left is an exaggerated green. There are softwares that can alter this (colour balance/white point) and some are free. For example:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/applications/best-free-photo-editing-software-10-top-image-editors-you-should-try-1135489

Some will offer white balance adjustments. Its very easy to do.

I used Photoshop to get the following in ten seconds. The hair looks more brown and the surface he is standing on looks brown (perhaps it is earth):

Screen Shot 2016-04-17 at 12.21.28.png

F

Fenlander

You are right Steve. I recently gave up on my iPhone and got a Windows 10 phone. Camera is actually sharper than the iPhone but does have a colour cast. Normally when I shoot with the DSLR I do a colour balance shot which sets all the pictures from that session to the right colour balance in Lightroom but I have not done this with the phone camera yet :smiling3:

S

Stevekir

\ said:
You are right Steve. I recently gave up on my iPhone and got a Windows 10 phone. Camera is actually sharper than the iPhone but does have a colour cast. Normally when I shoot with the DSLR I do a colour balance shot which sets all the pictures from that session to the right colour balance in Lightroom but I have not done this with the phone camera yet :smiling3:
Lightroom is the way to go for improving photos. I use it a lot on most of mine, holidays as well (and the occasional one which I try to turn into an image worth looking at, one of which got a "commended" at my local camera club").