Real war diorama

M

Mbecks3

hello, I'm mike, this is my first post. I'm a model painting enthusiast and Afghan war vet. I served with 2ppcli for 5 years. If this is in the wrong location please let me know. Now to the topic.

I see lots of well done models with great environments, vehicle paint, amazing buildings and details but every war diorama I can find online is missing the realistic human element. I know lots of dioramas have well painted soldiers but they all carry the same blank expression on there face and I found very few dioramas with the gory realities of war. Maybe there is a unwritten rule about creating a harshly real diorama that I don't know about.

Does anyone have any examples of this sort of model building or where I can get more realistic soldiers? In war men cry, panic and sit in utter fear over there lost friends bodies. I'm not a musician or poet and have a hard time talking about my experiences in combat. One thing I can do is build and paint models and I feel like getting some of the war scenes out of my head and onto a model would help me cope, any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

D

dubster72

Hi Mike & welcome to the forum.

There are quite a few figure sets with very expressive faces. I can think of ones from Tamiya, Dragon & Trumpeter to name just three.

However, modern figures are not as widespread as say, WW2 ones so if you're looking for something in the modern era, try the range of heads from Hornet. I think they're available in the UK from Historex Agents.

Hornet heads have every expression you could ever wish for!

HTH

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. Take a look at Grumpa's ( Jim ) Battle for Berlin diorama hes building at the moment. It should give you some ideas of how to use figures for a diorama of the type your thinking of.

M

Mbecks3

Thanks for the answers guys. I'll check out the diorama, I didn't realize companies actually made expressive faces.