Removing enamel which was painted over acrylic

K

karoliens

Hi guys,

I am working on a model where large decals needed to be applied around irregular edges on the model. When application went wrong I decided to just paint the pattern but when when I was removing decals there were some leftovers of white decal film. I just ignored it as I thought it will be covered by paint. The base colour is vallejo model air and I painted patterns with humbrol enamel. But those decal leftovers shines through enamel pain after first coat of enamel. Should I continue applying more coats to cover everything? Or perhaps there is a way to remove enamel paint without damaging base acrylic coat?

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Without being able to see it, it sounds to me like you have 2 options.
1) a total clean up of all the paint and start again.
2) just give the model a respray with primer and start again.

M

m1ks

Complete strip and repaint, blemishes will show through unless you paint so thick you lose detail.
How to strip here.

K

karoliens

Thank you. I decided to strip it and start from scratch. Do you know if it is a good idea at all to use enamels over acrylic? Because I can not get particular colour in acrylic. I tried to paint enamels over acrylics before and noticed that it does not adhere very well. Especially when I removed the masking tape some of the paint peel off around the edges even though I gave enough time to cure.

M

m1ks

Typical rule of thumb re layering is LEA (lacquer/enamel/acrylic) though with adequate curing time and careful spraying you can put enamel over acrylic but acrylic doesn't adhere well to plastic and is more prone to lift.
Better thing is to use one type as much as possible.