Republic of Korea Air Force (ROKAF) T-50 Advanced Trainer

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start graham the seats look nicely detailed , once theyve had a mist of primer im sure the detail will be easier to pick out. , cheers tony

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Nice start graham the seats look nicely detailed , once theyve had a mist of primer im sure the detail will be easier to pick out. , cheers tony
I am sure they will Tony. You know, I am tempted to do something I have never done. Lightly spray the sprues with some primer. I will see how I get on after a longer session but never white plastic again lol

S

stuart.c.82

\ said:
I am sure they will Tony. You know, I am tempted to do something I have never done. Lightly spray the sprues with some primer. I will see how I get on after a longer session but never white plastic again lol
This is what I did... Sprayed the 1st coat of primer on all of it whilst attatched to the sprue.... (I did however think this was how everyone did it so not my idea.) :confused:

F

Fenlander

\ said:
This is what I did... Sprayed the 1st coat of primer on all of it whilst attatched to the sprue.... (I did however think this was how everyone did it so not my idea.) :confused:
It is something I never do Stuart, not saying you shouldn't just that I don't. The reason for this is that it creates more cleanup in that surfaces to be glued together should have the paint removed first. Now I know that, especially, liquid cement tends to melt through the paint anyway but there are certain areas that really need to be cleaned like where the joint is a prominent seam, such as fuselage halves etc as you need to be sure that these joins are not going to give.

However, it is tempting on this build just so I can see better what I am doing lol.

So, like most things in modelling, it is not wrong to paint on sprues just not my normal way of working.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Try giving them a dry brush Graham that way there's not enough paint to cause any jointing problems but the detail will stand out and also bull the White.

F

Fenlander

Well, had a wonderful relaxed modelling day with this great kit. This is the first model to be started in my new modelling space and what a pleasure it has been. To be able to slide from the bench to the spray booth and back has been a total revelation in the workflow that has never been possible for me before. Trouble is, I was so chilled and focused, I forgot to take many pictures :sad:

Anyway, time to start on the cockpit.

image_2.jpe

This was then sprayed a medium grey and the panels picked out in Revell Anthracite as a scale black by brush. Then the decals were applied to the instrument panels but I doubt they will be seen. Have to say, it is a very well detailed cockpit, lots of parts but it is just black and grey, very dull but that is how they are.

Test fit into the fuselage top

image_3.jpe

Then a test fit of the fuselage halves. Horizontal split for the main section and verticle split for the nose.

image_1.jpe

In the meantime, I built the internal section that forms the intake tubes and the main undercarriage bay. I love the way they supply weighted and in flight dangly undercarriage legs, I have gone for weighted as it will be displayed on the ground.

Not many pictures but a lot done including sanding the intakes seam lines out which were not bad and then gradually building up the fuselage panels while constantly test fitting parts to make sure it will all go together.

You would not see much detail in the white plastic anyway but I will shoot it all over when primed and then hope a wash will bring out the detail when it is sprayed white again.

Being a trainer, the missiles are smoke rather than weapons, Smokewinders???? But a pair of slimmer sidewinder missiles are also in the kit. The large centreline fuel tank is nice and will look good hanging quite close to the ground. The sticky up bits at the back are open air brakes which will add a bit of interest but I am not sure if they would actually stay open once stopped. These are only tacked on with white glue so they can be popped off once sprayed with the airframe to detail the inside section, not found any reference to show what colour they would be as yet.

But for now, surprisingly, it is starting to look like an airplane. And it appears to be nose heavy so I don't think weights will be needed.

image_4.jpe

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Oh this is looking splendid Graham ( really nice even in white ) that cockpit/ office is very tidy and looks the part even in the dull colours.

I do like the option on the undercarriage legs you mentioned

Great fast progress

Regards

Robert

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fast work Graham , looking excellent too. It looks like a really nice kit -as we expect from Academy these days. I must get my J10 moving along though , everyone is leaving me behind in this GB!! cheers tony

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Fast work Graham , looking excellent too. It looks like a really nice kit -as we expect from Academy these days. I must get my J10 moving along though , everyone is leaving me behind in this GB!! cheers tony
Yes, keep up that man ;)

Does your canopy have a top seam line Tony? Mine does, very fine but it's there. I remember polishing one out before, scared me to death as it was my first time doing this. Hope I can still do it right.

It is a very nice kit and, getting near the end of it, I am surprised at the amount of bits still on the sprues. No idea where they will all go. I am assuming they planned a combat version or something that has a tad more bits. I think the 'proper' sidewinder type missiles are used on the Black Eagles version. I was tempted to fit them onto this but I thought I would keep it pure trainer and let people think the missiles are too fat..... Although, I believe, the Smokewinders are a grey colour.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
There is a combat version graham the FA 50 , and the trainers will be fully combat capable too for weapons training so either the inert rounds or the live sidewinders would be ok. Tony

P

Polux

Really looks a great kit. And you are doing more than justice to it Graham. ;)

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I'll get cracking on mine tonight ( just had to finish ordering paints from John)

Really looking forward to this Graham.

Robert

D

Deleted member 4539

Coming along in leap's and bound's Graham.

Great looking cockpit.

F

Fenlander

Bit more done today though not a lot to notice. Added the main undercarriage rams and doors, it's all white so no painting issues.

Built the crew access ladders, and I mean built them, individual rungs and everything. Was a pain but they look quite decent.

image_6.jpe

Also decided to prime it and get rid of all that white, before I put it all back on..... The nose section is still not glued onto the back, I decided to do them separate as I know it will fit on OK and, I didn't want to be masking the cockpit off at this stage.

\ said:
There is a combat version graham the FA 50 , and the trainers will be fully combat capable too for weapons training so either the inert rounds or the live sidewinders would be ok. Tony
I have gone totally trainer Tony, even the blanking plate where the gun goes ;)

Anyway, here it is in its lovely grey paint. Soon be white again.....

image_7.jpe

D

Deleted member 4539

Very nice work on the ladder's.

And I see your new AB has paid off well.

A

andyrobs

Looking good graham, the detail really does pop now you've got the primer on.

Cheers, Andrew

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Very nice work on the ladder's.
And I see your new AB has paid off well.
There is a story behind the airbrushing that I will put in another section later :oops:

\ said:
Looking good graham, the detail really does pop now you've got the primer on.
Cheers, Andrew
Thanks Andrew, it has been a pain to photograph which is why I haven't done as many as normal. Once I have sprayed it white again, it will have a light wash that will enhance the detail again.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking just like the FA 50 graham in its lo-viz grey scheme! Nice work , and i have the same thing to do with my j10s regarding the ladders , all separate rungs , only ive got two to make !! Cheers tony