First Name
Robert
Looking good and nice progress

Regards

Robert

F

Fenlander

Ok, enough for today.

The cockpit is in and the nose section attached. Put in the nose undercarriage and door so it sits on its three legs tonight :smiling3:

I wanted to get the canopy sorted before I went to bed as it has a seam line running the full length on top of the canopy which has to be sanded off and re polished. I have done this just once before but cannot remember which kit, might have been a 1/48 Typhoon.

Anyway, tried to take pictures and failed but here are the canopy component parts all of white parts need to be black and attached to the clear part

image_8.jpe

So, heart in mouth, the canopy was sanded, or at least the seam line was, then polished using a polishing sponge. This was followed by 12000 micro mesh followed by polishing compound and it worked :eek:

It has now been dipped in Future and is sat on a piece of kitchen towel to wick off the excess and covered by a plastic box to protect from dust.

So that's it for now. Next job will be to make it white again :oops:

Many thanks for all your supportive comments, it really does help :smiling3:

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Polishing canopies. I think I've done it twice. But there's nothing like the first time - it stays with you for ever.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
The cockpit is superbly done Graham. Always a shame when you don't see much of it when it's buttoned up inside.

F

Fenlander

I hate white plastic, have I mentioned that? But I hate white paint even more. Three quarters of a jar of Tamiya Gloss white has been gently sprayed over the grey primer and is slowly building up and turning glossy.

I have studied a few forums for tips on spraying white and one suggests unthinned Tamiya misted for a couple of coats then a wet heavy coat.

Others say build up thinned misted coats and gradually build up the solid colour.

This has now been hit with a lot of thinned paint and, happily, there is no sign of losing the fine detail.

Do you think I should keep building the solidity up or should I go for a thicker wet coat now?

image_9.jpe

D

Deleted member 4539

All looking good Graham.

As for the solidity I would go with the lighter coats as opposed to a wet coat.But that is just me..

Oh and nice canopy.

P

Polux

Painting a white colour is a pain!!

Sometimes I painted white coats mixed with some drops of varnish....looking for a more solidity colour. It usually works....

Looking very good so far Graham. Keep up the good work ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looking great graham , i would give it a few more thin coats , dont want to lose the detail, cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I would defo stick with the thin coats as what is so far is lovely and looks effective. I really might use my new Fengdu A/b to spray mine when it comes.

Looking good

Regards

Robert

J

John Rixon

Looking great, Graham, a different kettle of fish to a Hanomag! Looks like you're winning!

F

Fenlander

Many apologies but I took my eye off the ball with this one and got sidetracked so failed to finish..... In fact, I cannot remember where I put it out of harms way:oops:

Really must get organised more.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Dont worry graham im going to be a little late with mine too! I was wondering where this one had got to though

F

Fenlander

\ said:
Dont worry graham im going to be a little late with mine too! I was wondering where this one had got to though
Not sure myself where this one has got to either Tony :confused: Found the model but I cannot find the box with the bits in:mad:. Can't be that far away:smiling3: