Revell 1/32 Grumman Martlet V

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done today , I decided the guitar string chains didnt look very good so after a bit of searching found some fine jewellery 0.7mm box chain on e-bay for a couple of quid . Ive used this to replace the guitar string and it looks tons better. Ive also been sorting the exhausts. The wildcat f4f-4 had two big oval exhausts under the cowling , the ones on the kit though were just a couple of random blobs . I chain drilled and filed out two suitable holes and have some styrene tube to make the exhausts with, these will be fixed to the back plate of the engine. This will need some extra bits adding too , namely the rear of the engine ,exhaust shroud and the tubular engine bearer framework. The inside of the cowling has also had some plastic card added to cover up the lumpy insides caused by the (incorrect ) open cowl panel option.DSCN2677 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2679 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2683 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2685 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2686 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2687 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2688 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2691 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2692 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2693 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited:
T

Trekkie_John

By heck Tony, this is going to be a work of art mate. Love the chain idea, looks loads better.

Have fun, John

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Got the two holes cut out for the exhausts but was faced with the problem of fitting them to the backplate -they stick out proud of the fuselage so if I fix them before I join the fuselage halves it wont work. I decided to fit two small stubs that I can slip the exhausts over after assembly. Ive also made a start on the horseshoe shaped exhaust shroud , which I made by heating and bending a square section of scrap sprue round a vallejo bottle. This will go on the back plate and I'll have to knock up some flared ends for the bottom using plastic card. A suitable bit for the rear of the engine was found in the spares box (unused rear cockpit floor from a 1/32 revell beaufighter i think) and this will be cut out and embellished with some other bits.DSCN2695 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2699 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2698 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2696 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2694 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

J

John Rixon

Great job on those pipes Tony, seems incredible that they were'nt better on a kit like that! They have to be a candidate for some of that MRP Burnt iron paint (see BarryW's F4 recent build!).

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The exhaust shroud has been fitted , just a bit more fettling on the flared ends to do , and ive started to add the tubular engine mountings. Theres about another 4 of these to fit yet , all of them mounting onto a ring which fits round the rear of the engine. The tubular frame is glued to the bulkhead at the front of the cockpit and will just sit up against the engine backplate , this way I can put the engine and cockpit assembly in separately to ease painting and construction. Another prominent detail that needs making is the two intercoolers in the undercarriage bay. These fit just above the curved exhaust shrouds and are very visible through the round undercarriage openings.Heres a couple of pics ,cheers tonyDSCN2703 [Desktop Resolution].JPG DSCN2704 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well its been a while since ive been able to get in the shed but ive managed to get a few days in recently. Further to the last post I had the tricky problem of trying to scratch the intercooler radiators. These are square but have prominent louvres /ridges see pic.of actual thing.1514704381160.png
This pic showing the rear of the engine also shows the triangular oil tank that fits between the top two bearers (more on that later). I thunked long and hard about how to fabricate the intercooler faces and eventually came upon the idea of using an old CD case . The edges of these are a ridged moulding perfect for the intercooler face , so off i went chopping up a CD case . The lower part was made by stretching some square section sprue from the spares box. I also had to cut out a hole for the intercooler exhaust in between the engine exhausts and make the connecting pipe and exhaust from styrene tube. heres the pics , thanks for looking in cheers tonyDSCN2715 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2716 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2717 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2720 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2734 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2737 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2738 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2739 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Bit more done today . The scoop on top of the intake hasbeen drilled out and had an air inlet made from plastic card and fitted to the mouth of the intake.It just needs a little bit more smoothing round the edges with some vallejo putty. This will sit above the engine cylinders once the cowling is fitted.DSCN2713 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2714 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2722 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2735 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
DSCN2736 [Desktop Resolution].JPG
I next had the problem of making the triangular oil tank , a rounded shape not easy to fabricate from any sort of plastic . I didnt have anything big enough in the spares box to make it from solid plastic so came up with the idea of cutting it out of a wine cork . The one I used was quite dense and cut to shape and sanded up very easily. Any holes or cracks were filled with vallejo putty and wet sanded when dry before it received a few coats of halfords spray primer. Its now had the retaining straps and filler cap added from painted strips of tamiya tape and styrene rod . The feed pipe that will sit above the engine rear was made from fuse wire. Speaking of the rear of the engine I jazzed up this with various bits and fuse wire to give a rough impression of this area.DSCN2718 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2719 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2740 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2742 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2721 [Desktop Resolution].JPG

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Well I've finally got back into the shed again , the cold weather and work keeping me out for what seems like ages. I've been working on the cockpit , adding lots of detail to the side consoles and general painting. Ive used the nail art caviar coloured balls from poundland for the various knobs to be found and plastic rod ,card and fuse wire and guitar string etc for the pipes and wires . The instrument panel has just had a careful paint job and was surprisingly accurate. The seat belts were an old MDC unpainted brass set I had so these were annealed ,primed and painted, the shoulder straps having to be cut to the top of the seat to give the impression they overlap and go behind. Ive shaded the area to the side of the seat to give the illusion that its not flat sided but once the fuselage is together this area cant be seen anyway. The top scoop on the cowling is done now also ,and the intercoolers and intercooler exhaust are finished. The undercarriage mechanism has been attached to the firewall and just needs a wash then the next step is fastening the fuselage halves together with all this lot inside. Then its the tricky job of sanding the seam without losing the rivets!DSCN2729 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2730 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2731 [Desktop Resolution].JPGDSCN2790 (Copy).JPGDSCN2791 (Copy).JPGDSCN2792 (Copy).JPGDSCN2793 (Copy).JPGDSCN2794 (Copy).JPGDSCN2795 (Copy).JPGDSCN2796 (Copy).JPGDSCN2797 (Copy).JPGDSCN2798 (Copy).JPGDSCN2799 (Copy).JPG

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A return to the shed. Did the spiders miss you ?
Anyway, all looking very nice. That cockpit has a nice 'old' look about it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I was wondering what had happened to this. Glad to see it back on the bench.