Revell 1/87 Big Boy Locomotive...

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Having never made a loco kit before I thought "In at the deep end..again!" I found this loco whilst I was looking at google images and found Revell made it in 1/87 which, I think is HO/OO scale?

Top marks to John for getting it in specially for me. Thanks John.

Anyway, I won't bore you rigid with loads of sprue shots but just one and the box art.

The model measures 46.4cm / 18" and comes complete with a nice length of scale track.

First impressions? Although a very long loco kit, it only has 87 bits, 28 are wheels! A lot of the detail is moulded into the body already.

e.g. the main handrails which runs along the boiler body are both one long piece of flat plastic with the rails superimposed on it.

Being summer it will probably be a long haul (no pun intended) and someone will probably finish one before me!!

Here are the shots..

View attachment 24621

View attachment 24622

BIG BOY LOCO 001.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 002.jpg

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I'm looking forward to this, the detail on this kit looked spot on

B

bikerbart

Yep, likewise, looking forward to seeing this one in progress. Mind i did wonder if i had the right forum when i saw the title !!!!

Have fun with it, regards Martin :smiling:

B

Backbreaker

This looks like a great kit Ron, I'm with you all the way on this build.

Joolz.

T

T. van Vuuren

I will be looking at this thread with eager. I held the exact same kit in my hands this morning at the shop, but at R350-00 (arround 28 squidd) I left it for now.

It does look very tempting though...........

Theuns

M

msm2

Keeping an eye on this too,considering getting this kit later on @ £15 notes from local supplier.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
View attachment 16941View attachment 16931View attachment 16932View attachment 16933View attachment 16934View attachment 16935View attachment 16936View attachment 16937View attachment 16938View attachment 16939View attachment 16940View attachment 16930Here are some not so good pictures of progress so far. Brush painted with Humbrol Matt Black, aluminium and steel.

It's gone together fine but my only gripe is the fact that a lot of the detail is already in the moulding, making it easy to build but a real pest to try and paint, I like to paint small stuff on the sprues and also it doesn't leave a great deal to glue together, and the long body hand rails really are a joke.

The next stage will be attaching the body, touch up the painting, the weathering, fix the brass bell, and paint the track....

Anyway, here it is. Photos in no particular order:-

Ron

View attachment 24937

View attachment 24938

View attachment 24939

View attachment 24940

View attachment 24941

View attachment 24942

View attachment 24943

View attachment 24944

View attachment 24945

View attachment 24946

View attachment 24947

View attachment 24948

BIG BOY LOCO 014.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 004.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 005.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 006.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 010.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 003.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 012.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 013.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 011.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 009.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 007.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 008.jpg

B

Backbreaker

Great work Ron.

Can't wait to see it weathered,

Joolz

F

Fenlander

Looking great Ron, I thought you were off in the hills again. Nice to see something totally different again

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Looking great Ron, I thought you were off in the hills again. Nice to see something totally different again
'ad to come 'ome to water me spuds and beans!!

Got a couple of days here so could do a bit more on this and catch up on the threads..... IF the sun stays in! lol

Ron

F

Fenlander

'ad to come 'ome to water me spuds and beans!!
Ahh, the trouble of old age, I to will soon reach that age when me spuds and beans have to be watered manually instead of leaving them to their own devices........

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Graham, steady on boy, I've only just got my bus pass!

As it's been raining a while here I have fixed the body to the running gear and added the front safety rails.

All that is required now is to check and touch up the paintwork, add the decals, weather the monster and finally add the brass bell.

Here are a few more pictures to bring the build up to date.

I have put a 1/72 figure in three of the snaps to give some idea as to the size of the thing!

I have not been spot -on with the painting, as after a few thousand miles of dust, mud and who know's what, there won't be any shiny bits left to see!!......"Wot a cop out!" you cry......and guess what?

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 24966

View attachment 24967

View attachment 24968

View attachment 24969

View attachment 24970

View attachment 24971

View attachment 24972

BIG BOY LOCO 017.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 021.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 016.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 015.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 022.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 020.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 023.jpg

B

bikerbart

Ron, great to see you back mate...and look at the progress on this beast of a model. Great work mate, i reckon your ganna loooooove weathering her. All the best Ron, cheers Martin :smiling:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the finished Revell 1/87 Big Boy Locomotive.

All brush painted with Humbrol enamels.

As there are only 87 bits to the kit and a final count reveals 28 wheels, it was quite a straight forward kit to build (level 3 on the Revell rating thingy)

After I fixed the decals I weathered the model. I had to use my imagination as I couldn't find any 'In service' photos showing any close ups.

For the actual weathering I first used Humbrol Dk. grey matt enamel, very well thinned with turps substitute ( cheap skate!) Then using my flat brush which due to it's size I affectionately call my 'Yard brush' I literally slurried the paint on and then let it run down the model where it chose to go.

Next coat was Humbrol matt sand enamel, same technique but I concentrated more on the lower areas to simulate dust, finally a black/ brown mix on the lubrication points / con-rods and let this run a bit to show some staining around the greasing points.

I have tried to make the loco well battered and used, perhaps even on it's way to, or even in, the scrapyard.

Originally, I was going to leave it squeaky clean, but as usual I had to get the muck out!!

On the whole I enjoyed the diversion from armour and aircraft making. I hope you like this bit of a novelty amongst the usual stuff we build.

Now perhaps I can get into G/B mode!

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 24997

View attachment 24998

View attachment 24999

View attachment 25000

View attachment 25001

View attachment 25002

View attachment 25003

View attachment 25004

View attachment 25005

View attachment 25006

View attachment 25007

View attachment 25008

View attachment 25009

View attachment 25010

View attachment 25011

BIG BOY LOCO 036.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 024.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 032.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 037.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 028.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 038.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 030.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 027.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 035.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 026.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 031.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 025.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 029.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 033.jpg

BIG BOY LOCO 034.jpg

F

Fenlander

Lovely job Ron. The weathering has certainly brought it to life. We have a new chap who has joined the forum today interested in railway weathering so this is very timely. Another great advert for the 'Hairy Brusher' again.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Wasn't going to say anything until it was done Ron, i'm not one for trains but this is great. Beautiful job on the weathering too mate, looks used at they should be top marks from me.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for that chaps, much appreciated.

Got to keep the brush hand flag flying Graham!

I'm the same as you John, but I decided to make this as I was feeling a bit 'Stale' and couldn't motivate much enthusiasm for modelling armour and the like. O.K. now though!

It also brought back memories of my dad and I racing our respective OO scale trains around a track he had built in the spare room. No scenery, just tracks.

His train caught up with mine and de-railed it!... Me being a stroppy 10yr. old told him where to shove his train ( In 10yr old terms) Bad move, off came the belt...again!!

Happy, but sore days...

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Ron mate, glad to see youre back among us, (although ive been spending alot less time in the dad cave too,what with all this lovely weather)Now then ,what a brilliant job on this loco, excellent muckying and great photography too as usual. I bet its only the fact its an odd scale thats stopped you making a dio with it, although 1/87 figures would be a bugger to paint . Great job and looking forward to whatever youve got in store for the GB , cheers tony

N

noble

Hi Ron this is lookin good and might i say a tad unusual, which is nice to see keep up the good work mate.

scott

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Good one Ron. Your 'splash it on all over' technique has worked very nicely (Not related to 'Our 'enry' are you?).

I've looked at this kit a few times but I think it's a bit small scale for me. I've also been put off by the low parts count. I'm not saying I need kits with a zillion parts for all the fiddly details, but this kit should have more bits to it. You mentioned the moulded on handrail as a good example.

Anyway, you done a smashin' job of it. What you doin' next?

Gern