Revell Harbour Tug

First Name
Tony
Revell Harbour Tug 1:108 scale. Decided not to build as the instructions, but to the original 1955 version 'Long Beach' after receiving the box art from an American model making friend. Brush painted with either Revell Aqua Color or Humrol acrylic. Decals had to be printed on the computer using waterslide decal paper bought from ebay.

Tony.

View attachment 106292

View attachment 106293

View attachment 106294

View attachment 106295

View attachment 106296

View attachment 106297

View attachment 106298

Revell Harbor Tug (1).JPG

Revell Harbor Tug (2).jpg

Revell Harbor Tug (4).jpg

Revell Harbor Tug (9).JPG

Revell Harbor Tug (10).JPG

Revell Harbor Tug (12a).JPG

Revell Harbor Tug (14).JPG

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Cracking job on that Tony ............ Really superb clean build. I like it a lot.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
I like that looks good and nice detail work on it,very well done, ;)

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
i like that.....nearly bought that a few times but always gave in cos i was never sure how good it was

P

phikoleoputra

Stunning, and now you make me want to buy one of those :cool:

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Never been into boats but like what you have done , nice detailing

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
I like the nostalgia in building it as the older kit :smiling3: Looks good!

L

Laurie

That is just great fun. I can just visualize that tug bobbing up and down in the harbour or estuary. Used to fish in the Thames and watch the river tugs passing. brings back memories.

Nicely built and very nice attention to detail. Like the fendering detail just finishes it all off.

Laurie

First Name
Tony
Thanks for all the replies and positive feedback. It is a lovely little model to construct and paint. Models of this size don't take too much room to display.

Looking forward to the next boat build Revell's new tug Fairplay I/III/X after completion of an Airfix VW Beetle.

B

Bunkerbarge

I have one of these in my stash, always fancying the idea of making it an RC model to pull my 1/96th sacle warships around.

You've made a lovely job of it there and the paint job gives it a more fitting traditional look about it.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's beautifully built and painted Tony. I'm not an expert but would harbour tugs be so clean and pristine?

P

Polux

Lovely job!

It makes me want to build one!!! :D

Can I ask if the figures come with the kit?

First Name
Tony
Gern, must agree that harbour tugs would be untidy, weathered and battered and this is could be an alternative 'paint job'. In 2013 I had a day trip along the Manchester Ship Canal (run by Mersey Ferries) and at Latchford Locks near Warrington where the canals tugs are based, the ship canal tugs were fresh from a re-paint and looked pristine. Whether to model as weathered or pristine is personal choice and has been a point of discussion among many modellers for many years. Personally, I am not experienced enough to attempt weathering and hence the new build look and this model is really an attempt to re-create what modellers would have built in the 1950's when the kit was marketed as Long Beach. I think Revell kits were made Venice, California back then.

Polux, yes the figures are supplied with the kit. The kit's mouldings are supplied in red and I think they are that colour to ease the painting as Lucky XI, the red mouldings took quite a few coats to cover, especially to white.

Bunkerbarge, Model Boats magazine featured an item on converting this little tug to r/c not too long ago. I've had a quick search and not found anything i.e. year and month.

Last edited by a moderator: