Revell Monty's caravan & scout car (1/76)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Having finished the Jaguar SS100 I had a rummage through my limited stash and came across this. Bought a few years ago at the Perth Model Show.
P1030603.JPG
As well as the two vehicles it comes with a base and three figures. It is a rebox of the Matchbox kit from the early 1980s. I don't plan on using the kit base but will make one myself. For an old kit the sprues look OK. A bit soft in detail but no flash.
P1050594.JPG
P1050595.JPG
P1050596.JPG
I have made a start and I'll update progress later. Anyone who is interested in following along would be more than welcome.
Jim

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
ive done this before so i know its builds up nice..........got another im planning on doing soon......love these old matchbox/revell repops with the little base

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice one Jim, one of my favorites from the old Matchbox line.:thumb2:
Will tag along to see how yours comes together and looking forward to see the base.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I built this when I was maybe ten years old, and again 10–15 years or so later. Always liked it, and pretty much any other 1/76th scale Matchbox kit for that matter :smiling3: Pity Revell don’t mould it in three colours anymore like it should be.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'll join the front row for this Jim .
John .

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Paul, Fernando, Jakko and John - so good to have you along. Especially pleased that many are familiar with the kit and so will be able to offer advice from first hand experience.
I started with the Daimler Mk2 scout car. The fit of parts just required minimum fettling to get a good fit. Filling was needed at the base of the rear. The suspension springs were moulded OK but the seam lines were front and back. Impossible to clean up and I wasn't sure if the line would show so scratched new springs with rod and 0.3mm wire. The interior - what there is of it - was painted and weathered. The two seats are still to fit.
P1050601.JPG
P1050602.JPG
P1050603.JPG
P1050604.JPG
P1050605.JPG
I primed with Stynyrez grey but used black for the wheel arches. Hopefully if I can airbrush the top coat 'gently' I will get a bit of shadow/variation. That may not work as I am rather heavy handed :sad:
P1050607.JPG
P1050608.JPG
P1050609.JPG
This scale is TINY!! Admiration for people like Paul E who works with even smaller models. This is it photographed with a no11 scalpel blade :smiling5:
P1050606.JPG
Thanks for your interest and support.
Jim

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim.
Either that is one large blade or you have gone to the darkside of scale .:fearful:
It's no wonder the springs were hardly useable, the ones you have done look spot on.
Primer is good, can't be easy with that size, did you have to nail it down ! :smiling3: I'd have blown it off the turntable :smiling::smiling:
John .

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Good-o, another small one :thumb2:

Springs definitely needed replacing

Still have one (possibly more) original Matchbox multicolour in the stash

There's actually quite a lot of stuff squeezed inside these little chaps - this one was at Elvington show a few years back

Daimler Dingo Mk2-002_29-05-2012.JPGDaimler Dingo Mk2-021_29-05-2012.JPGDaimler Dingo Mk2-030_29-05-2012.JPG

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
Loved building these back in the day, way too small now, great start Jim

First Name
Ross
Jim
I'll pull up a pew, this looks good, every time I see the word Leyland I remember the Leyland P76 we had, people said it was a dreadful car but I can't remember anything bad about ours.

cheers
Ross

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry Jim! Late on parade again. What a fantastic little build. Looking forward to seeing how you tackle this. Is there detail inside the caravan - tables, chairs etc?

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
John - it was primed blu-tacked to a lolly stick otherwise it could well have blown around :smiling5:
Simon - little will be seen of the springs but I took a leaf out of your book and replaced them anyway. The Dingo was quite an amazing little vehicle - many, many made and appeared everywhere.
Mick - to be honest I didn't realise just how small this scale is especially for very small vehicles.
Ross - welcome aboard. Leyland was a big manufacturer back in the day but now just history.
Steve - there is no interior for the caravan. I will scratch a few odds and ends just so it doesn't look empty. See the update.
Fernando - cheers :thumb2:

OK update time. Not a lot to shown for the hours I have spent peering through the Optivisor.
I got a base coat on the Dingo and then a coat of gloss
P1050616.JPG
P1050617.JPG
Built up the caravan chassis. Went together OK but the location points for the various parts took a bit to figure out. Held in place with magnets onto a steel sheet with square paper stuck on it to keep everything square. Then primed black.
P1050611.JPG
P1050615.JPG
Front and rear of the cab built and primed.
P1050614.JPG
Then I tackled the office/caravan itself. As I said to Scottie there is no interior. Just a large map bench along one side and that is not the right shape. The walls of the caravan had those rotten casting circles on the inside :sad:
P1050613.JPG
The real thing is at the IWM. Very few photos of the interior. For ref only
caravan interior.jpg
The far end is divided off into a washroom. I scratched a few bits to fill up the empty space. Cupboards on the wall, a table, a chair, a wash basin, a toilet? and a settee.
P1050618.JPG
P1050620.JPG
P1050621.JPG
Not very accurate or to scale but painted up it will be good enough for what will be seen.
Cut the door out of the dividing wall so the door can be modelled open.
P1050619.JPG
So that it where the time has gone :smiling3:
Thanks for all your support.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,
Sorry I missed this up till now. Your off to a great start I will follow along.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice start at the painting Jim.:thumb2:
Looking forward to see how the caravan looks with the interior installed.:hungry:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Thats a wonderful update Jim. The furniture and interior work has come out well. Damm that Dingo is small. Great stuff mate:thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Scottie, Fernando and Steve - thanks for the kind comments. Sorry for taking so long to acknowledge you posts.
So time for an update. Loads of fiddly, time consuming stuff - quite fun though.
The Dingo is almost complete. A bit more weathering and wheels to fit. I won't do any chipping 'cause I can't see how to keep it in scale considering the whole thing is only about 3cm long.
P1050631.JPG
P1050632.JPG
P1050633.JPG
The truck cab interior is done. No clear parts in the kit so windscreen had to be made.
P1050629.JPG
P1050630.JPG
Monty's caravan interior completed. Very fiddly and I doubt much will be seen but I am sure all of you have built and painted wonderful, hidden things - seems to be something we do!!:tongue-out3:
P1050625.JPG
P1050626.JPG
P1050628.JPG
I am sure a far better job could be done especially if the scale was bigger but it's better than just the kit provided map bench.
Thanks for all your support.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You could leave the caravan roof loose, so all that nice interior can still be on show.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim.
That is brilliant, great work on the internals. Don't think it could be bettered really. Everything looks right.
Have to agreewith Jakko, you have to leave that roof removable. Too good to seal up.
John.