Revell's 1/48 Jaguar GR.1A

First Name
Wouter
Hi Fernando, I really like how the Jaguar is turning out mate. That camouflage scheme looks very good. About the preshade, well not all's lost, weathering could cover the loss I reckon ey.
Next time try to thin the Gunze paints very heavily (like 70%-30% thinner-paint) and just very gentle passes. Of course it takes a while to cover the surface but you'll see you can keep the preshade. Just requires some patience and discipline

Looking forward to see how this unfolds!

(Btw great 1:1 heli chap :tongue-out3:)

Cheers

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great job on the wrap around camo Fernando, looking very good

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Good evening all,

Ross, nice of you to drop in and thanks for the kind words.:hugging-face:
Colin, thanks much appreciated.:thumb2:
Jim, thank you, yes one of the joys of using an airbrush.:tongue-out3:
With Revell enamel and Vallejo Model Air I had decent results, just have to build up my experience this one is no.2 to date with Gunze paints ….
Wouter, thanks for the kind words and I’ll give your mixture a try the next time.:thumb2:
Think I did this coat in a 50/50 mix and the weathering will resurrect most of filth I had planned.
Joe, thanks and nice of you to drop in too.:thumb2:
Glad it turned out ok since the Revell instructions were less than consistent in the camo pattern…

Well with all the fine sunny weather that had visited Holland the past weekend just a little had been done, it felt criminal to stay longer inside.:tongue-out3:
Modified the BL755 bombs a bit, the general shape and fins seemed ok but the prop fuse thingy really put me off….
Left the kit part like a bottle cap, right the modified one:
20180506_180056_resized.jpg
Looking a bit more like the real one eh?:
rbl-755_138.jpg

(for discussion purposes only)

Sanded the nose cone shape first, drilled a 1.2mm hole in the centre and filled it with a punched 0.8mm disk.
The fans were 1mm pieces of 0.25x0.5mm strip slightly angled to have a prop like look.
Also made a start on the detail painting but more on that in the next update later in the week.

Thanks for looking in.

Fernando

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Camo looks great to me Fernando , I always obliterate a pre shade too!The bomb fuses look amazing , very fiddly but so worth it when you compare it to the kit effort. keep the updates coming , cheers tony

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good evening all,

Ross, nice of you to drop in and thanks for the kind words.:hugging-face:
Colin, thanks much appreciated.:thumb2:
Jim, thank you, yes one of the joys of using an airbrush.:tongue-out3:
With Revell enamel and Vallejo Model Air I had decent results, just have to build up my experience this one is no.2 to date with Gunze paints ….
Wouter, thanks for the kind words and I’ll give your mixture a try the next time.:thumb2:
Think I did this coat in a 50/50 mix and the weathering will resurrect most of filth I had planned.
Joe, thanks and nice of you to drop in too.:thumb2:
Glad it turned out ok since the Revell instructions were less than consistent in the camo pattern…

Well with all the fine sunny weather that had visited Holland the past weekend just a little had been done, it felt criminal to stay longer inside.:tongue-out3:
Modified the BL755 bombs a bit, the general shape and fins seemed ok but the prop fuse thingy really put me off….
Left the kit part like a bottle cap, right the modified one:

Looking a bit more like the real one eh?:

Sanded the nose cone shape first, drilled a 1.2mm hole in the centre and filled it with a punched 0.8mm disk.
The fans were 1mm pieces of 0.25x0.5mm strip slightly angled to have a prop like look.
Also made a start on the detail painting but more on that in the next update later in the week.

Thanks for looking in.

Fernando

Eduard are about to release a set of 8 BL755 cluster bombs in their Brassin range.

T

TonyBv9

Great photo. Nice to see that the RAF polishes its bombs to a nice shiny finish. It shows they really care.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fernando.
Hi mate, sorry I've missed so much of this, still trying to get used to the workings of the site .
Love the pipe work and the office, becoming your trade mark in my eye! Always neat work .Shall keep up in future.:smiling4:
John.

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Good evening all, sorry for the late update life and good weather kept me a bit more than anticipated from the bench….
Tony, thank you fiddly indeed but it was a simple and cheap way to get a better looking bomb.:smiling4:
Ian, thank you too:thumb2:
Rick, thanks for the info, always handy to have for the a future Jag model….:thinking:
TonyB, true adds a different look to the kit too.:hugging-face:
John, no need to be sorry.
Like the old place, we keep each other pretty busy here too so it’s easy to miss a tread.
Thanks for the kind words:thumb2:, I’m trying to detail my models more nowadays just need a bunch of good photos of the real thing.:smiling:

Managed to complete most of the detail painting as called out per kit instructions and some creative additions on my part.:hungry:
Decals were placed and being the stiff Revell type a few rounds of Microsol were required to let them settle nicely, this was followed by a thin wash of AK 2071 to bring out the details.
When dry the Jag got a coat 50/50 VJ matt and gloss varnish to protect all the work:
20180516_184514_resized.jpg
20180516_184606_resized.jpg
20180516_184627_resized.jpg
Under and over wing stores got their decals and wash too, the BL755 just need their gloss coat again as I inadvertently gave all the same finish:sleeping:…..:
20180516_184640_resized.jpg
Also made a boarding ladder from 0.75 & 0.5mm rod and some 0.75mm sheet:
20180516_184417_resized.jpg
May not be totally accurate, but I’m pretty pleased with the first attempt so I’m keeping it for now.:tongue-out3:
Still a bunch of small things to complete before she's finished but the finish is in sight.
Thanks for looking in.

Fernando

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Fernando .
That boarding ladder is the dogs. ! Did you have photos or drawings of one. Certainly will add to the overall look .:thumb2:

First Name
Wouter
wow, that paintwork is defo the bee's knee's mate! And love that scratched ladder.

Cheers

A

Andy Claesens

Fernando,
Count me in!!! Couldn't miss out on a Jag build. Hope you'll be finishing her as a 54(f) kite (THE premier Jaguar Squadron):smiling:
Audax omnia perpeti
54(f) Sqn.JPG
Andy
Former SQNINTO 54(f) Sqn

A

Andy Claesens

Hi Rick,
I had missed the second page before I posted.... Can't win them all... I'm guessing you meant 41 Sqn. I worked with them and 6 Sqn.
SQNINTO - Squadron Intelligence Officer. (1994-2001)
Andy

J

Jim Barry

Beautiful work on the Jaguar. I knew it was just around the corner! I was reminded (in another threads about Jaguars) that here in America we see that U as a W (somehow). Regardless of our differences, it's a wonderful plane. Keep it up.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Fernando

Stunning work as always my friend. The ladder has come out really well. Enjoying this build a lot

Steve

Fernando N

SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Good evening all,

John, thanks:thumb2: I used the photo’s in Duke Hawkins Aircraft in detail 001 for the ladder and all other details like this one:
raf-sepecat-jaguar-gr3a-tim-beach.jpg

Ian, thank you too.:thumb2:
Wouter, cheers I’m a big fan of the camoed Jags too.:smiling:
Alun, thanks just get some good reference photo’s, a lot of time, TLC and you’ll have a great model.:smiling4:
Andy, thanks:thumb2: and glad you’ve found my build and yep she’s going to be a 41th Squadron plane.:hugging-face:
Maybe 54th for the next one, do you know of any special livery’s that have been printed as decals?
Jim, thank you and I see when pronouncing the name you can throw in the W, as most of my English is from television and internet(being Dutch) I totally understand.:upside:
Steve, thanks mate:thumb2: after some second thoughts on the ladder I decided to build a new one, see below...

Well after a long weekend, today is a holiday in Holland and a day at Militracks I’m almost finished with this one.:smiling:
A little production line of RBF tags to decorate the Jag, these are from Astra Decals ASD4821, decals to stick on a piece of clear cellophane and then you have a tag to bend in the desired form:
20180521_082718_resized.jpg
20180521_082735_resized.jpg
Also had my first crack at using Milliput for pitot covers:
20180521_120007_resized.jpg
Wanted to use it for the Sidewinders too but the results were disappointing, so reverted to a couple of a Eduard set….
Ladder version 2, the first one was after some thoughts just too straight and I want this Jag and her friend (FG.1 Phantom) to attend SMC this year:
20180521_184504_resized.jpg
Ladder was painted VJ 71.309 Dark Slate Grey btw.
Work commencing on all the RBF tags:
20180521_141445_resized.jpg
Oh as I forgot to mention this before, the Sidewinders were painted with VJ 71.050 and steel, aluminium, brass and gunmetal for the metallic bits.
The BL755 bombs were painted VJ 71.324 and the countermeasure pods VJ 71.406.
Thanks for looking in.

Fernando

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This is looking absolutely superb Fernando , amazing extra details and the paint and finish is perfect, looking forward to the next pics ,cheers tony