Rick's 1/48 Hasegawa Phantom FGR2, 1435 Flt Stanley Airport

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Rick. Ages ago i promised you photos i took of Phantoms when i was at Stanley. This is the only one i could find. Probably not of much use.

View attachment 274868

Thanks Dave. That looks a pretty grubby machine. Some other research I have done on FI Phantoms show examples with the centreline Sneb gun pack fitted.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice work so far Rick.
I read on t'interweb, that this kit is getting a re pop from Hasegawa....
It also appears from time to time in a Revell box...

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I joined up the fuselage tonight and the upper and lower wing sections, not too bad a fit. However some of the etched metal of the cockpit came away and needed reattached.

Q1. What colour are the inside surfaces of the open doors on the wing centre section?
image.jpeg
Q2. What are the two panels at the leading edge roots (not fitted yet) and should they be open or closed on the ground?

The wing to fuselage joint looks okay with a dry fit but underneath there may need to be some shimming with plasticard. I'm not looking forward seeing what shows up when I prime the fuselage join along the spine.
image.jpeg image.jpeg

First Name
Dave
I joined up the fuselage tonight and the upper and lower wing sections, not too bad a fit. However some of the etched metal of the cockpit came away and needed reattached.

Q1. What colour are the inside surfaces of the open doors on the wing centre section?
View attachment 276065
Q2. What are the two panels at the leading edge roots (not fitted yet) and should they be open or closed on the ground?

The wing to fuselage joint looks okay with a dry fit but underneath there may need to be some shimming with plasticard. I'm not looking forward seeing what shows up when I prime the fuselage join along the spine.
View attachment 276066 View attachment 276067
I remember the auxiliary air doors being painted a dull red on the inside of the door. Same as the speedbrake inner surfaces and actuator bodies ( But not the speedbrake wells).inside the aux air doors you could see the engines.

Last edited:
First Name
Dave

View attachment 276065

View attachment 276066 View attachment 276067
The 2 panels at the leading edge roots are where the catapult hooks would be on the navy F4K

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The intake were looking to be a source of strife with this, there is a big empty gap between the intake and fuselage that just doesn't look right. A friend at IPMS alerted me to this area and suggested adding a piece of thin plasticard to cover it, so I did and it looks rather good.
IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2380.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

I didn't glue the intakes at the bottom bit where it mates against the fuselage intake trunking because there was an into wind step. When the glue had dried elsewhere I ran some thin cement along the join here and wedged two sanding sticks into the intake to hold it in position as it set. This reduced or eliminated the step previously mentioned.

IMG_2378.JPG

With the wings assembled and fitted there are gaps on the bottom which I have filled with a thin shim of plasticard, when dry I will trim it down.

IMG_2379.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice progress Rick, look slike the small issues with the smaller scales are amplified with this larger kit.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Battling with a few problems, but kicking them into touch. Good work.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Battling with a few problems, but kicking them into touch. Good work.

My biggest problem at the moment is being away from home, I was expecting to be away for five days but now it's looking like 14 at least. Boooo!

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Looking good Rick, I had simular issues this week as I was on Jury service all week. But now I intend to get some work done on the projects this weekend.
I had small issues with my intakes to the fuselage but eventually got them sorted. A wee bit of CA sorted a gap then filled sanded smoothed but then had to go down the line of rescind ( hare this part )
Getting there though
Looks good

Regards

Robert

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looking good.
Regarding the colour inside panels and flaps, to the best of my knowledge they all have the dull red colour Dave mentioned.

First Name
Dave
My biggest problem at the moment is being away from home, I was expecting to be away for five days but now it's looking like 14 at least. Boooo!
The joys of contracting Rick.I finished at Glasgow 4 weeks ago because I need recency on the other types on my license. I'm now at Lasham and haven't got anywhere to do models in my digs.So my Phantoms on hold at the moment.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The joys of contracting Rick.I finished at Glasgow 4 weeks ago because I need recency on the other types on my license. I'm now at Lasham and haven't got anywhere to do models in my digs.So my Phantoms on hold at the moment.

I'm not a contractor but a field rep, so I travel a lot but sometimes I find myself staying away longer than planned - waiting for spares this time in Iceland. Get yourself to IPMS in Farnborough this Monday if you can, its our monthly club night.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Enjoying the snow then?

When I arrived at 2330 there was three inches of snow on my rental car and the road from Keflavik was pretty hairy. The next morning over 50cms of snow had been dumped on Reykjavik and I couldn't dig the car out despite having a go. The next day I had another attempt and in the time it took for me to go back into the hotel and fetch the key a plough cleared the footpath and blocked me in again.
The roads are clear now and the snow is melting but there are huge piles of it around.
This was my car last Sunday;
WP_20170226_10_00_42_Raw (2)[3926][4379].jpg