Rick's Airfix 1/24 Hawker Hurricane MK1

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
This is my entry for this build. I haven't built any aircraft bigger than 1/72 to date so this is a big leap in size for me but it will definately present me with lots of new challenges and opportunities to dabble with different weathering techniques in a scale that will really show them off. This will be OOB with no plans for after market stuff for now but it will be weathered.

Gratuitous sprue shots follow with a lot of parts that came away when removing from the bag.

View attachment 95491

View attachment 95492

View attachment 95493

View attachment 95496

View attachment 95499

View attachment 95501

View attachment 95502

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

P

Polux

Nice one Rick.

This year I built two little 1/48 planes...my third was the 1/24 Stuka!! I was glad with the challenge, and I can say, I learned a lot.

So good luck ;)

PS: Thank you Rick to join in Rick :smiling3:

First Name
Dave
Looking forward to seeing this one put together.When I saw them advertised for £30 on Debenhams web site I said to the wife that I wanted one.She went shopping next day and bought me the Spitfire!!.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
For a 1/72 builder, you must off had a shock when you opened the box. I do 1/48 and my reaction was "Dude, thats 'rather large'" or something like that.lol

Look forward to seeing it come together.

Ian M

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Flash and mould seams everywhere! I'm just building the cockpit and contemplating whether to do the engine with panels off or on - I'll panel her up as it's my first 1/24.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I had a go at the engine and seeing as the mounts don't match the engine that idea is definitely binned. So here's the progress so far on the cockpit, even some of these bits aren't straight. I found that I needed to open up the holes for the cross members and seat pan bulkhead to fit. The seat height adjuster levers also need to have the holed drilled out so that they fit onto the spigot and push down far enough so that they almost butt up against the side of the seat - parts 76 & 78.

I also deferred fitting part 74 until after the cockpit frame is assembled as there is a lever on part 73 that needs to be manipulated through a moulded gate on part 81- fit part 74 after assembling the cockpit is my tip for today.

View attachment 96371

View attachment 96372

View attachment 96373

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The IP on this model is a clear insert to a plastic panel, what's the best way of replicating the instruments on this? There are no decals for it and I don't want to go for an aftermarket extra.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Can you replicate the instruments from a 1/72 kit onto your dials on plastic card and stick it to the back of the clear piece?

P

Polux

I suppose is like my Stuka's instruments....O_o

The best way is paint (black primer) the rear part of the clear plastic, and then, do a "dry brush" in white. Don't use a brush!!! Take a white artistic pencil!! The result will be more accurate and easy to produce ;)

Nice start!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Do the instrument details stand out from the surface of the clear piece? If so, dry brushing (or very careful use of a paint pen or similar as Polux suggests) is the way to go - I used decals on mine but it was a nightmare trying to get them to sit straight on the raised parts while drying. If they don't, I have some generic decals for the instruments you could use. PM your address if you need them.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Rick

Very nice clean build of the Hurricane's office. If t were me I'd go for the Aftermarket IP dials - they will make such a big difference in this large scale. But I'm sure it will look fantastic choose what you do to get round the dilemma.

Cheers

P

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Can you replicate the instruments from a 1/72 kit onto your dials on plastic card and stick it to the back of the clear piece?
Dunno Joe. I don't have a 1/72 kit to compare it with. This is parked until I finish XV235 and get back from my latest business trip.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
Dunno Joe. I don't have a 1/72 kit to compare it with. This is parked until I finish XV235 and get back from my latest business trip.
http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/alan-45s-trumpeter-1-24-hurricane-mkii-c-trop.29306/#post-252427

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I finally found the time to set up my airbrush kit and blast through my backlog. So the cockpit, wheel bay and a few other bits were primed today using Vallejo grey acrylic primer - I might have to pinch Steve Kir's trick and add a drop of black or red to tint the primer because it's remarkably similar in colour to the plastic.

View attachment 99498

image.jpg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I re sprayed the sub assemblies of this today too with the tinted primer. Then I got carried away and did the wings and fuselage followed by a bit of pre-shading. I figured that it might be easier to do on a 1/24 scale model and while the large parts were still on the sprues. Pre-shading is not for me normally but I thought I should at least have a go.

View attachment 99908

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I remember this when it first came out in the 70's when it was the bees knees. Way better than the 109 and Spit that preceded it. You are doing a great job Rick. Be interesting to see how it comes together.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I painted some parts of the cockpit Aluminium then applied Maskol here and there before giving it a coat of Interior Green, the sidewalls and LG compartments were also done.

I think I thinned the paint too much though as it doesn't look quite right.

I over did it removing the Maskol in places and went through to the plastic, oooops!

View attachment 101185

View attachment 101186

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: