Rick's BR MK1 Breakdown Support Coach weathering

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
After trying out the chipping effect medium on my little Dauntless (nearly finished, honest) I thought I would try the technique on a coach roof. I used a limited edition model of a Breakdown Support Coach in the striking yellow with black chevrons, but it is too clean. These coaches spend a lot of time stabled outside exposed to the elements so they can sometimes look a little tatty, especially the roof.

The first thing to do was dismantle the coach to avoid applying more masking tape than required. This coach is made by Bachmann and is quite easy to take apart.

When this was done I masked the bodysides and sprayed the roof with Model Air Aluminium followed by the chipping effect medium where I wanted it chipped and flaked. When this was dry I used Medium Sea Grey which is lighter than the correct shade but gives that faded look. I added increasing amounts of black to the paint cup to vary the tone.

When this was all dry the areas where chipping effect was sprayed were washed down to reveal the aluminium underneath. Next, I used Abteilung oils for the rust and dirt streaks with faded white for bird droppings. The coach has been reassembled ready for the next stage; a light dusting of dirt on the roof then it's on to the bodysides and under frame.

View attachment 85710

View attachment 85711

View attachment 85712

View attachment 85713

View attachment 85714

View attachment 85715

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
wow an amazing looking rust and wear effect,very well done ;)

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I tried Mig's slimy grime effects on the roof and body sided of this coach. The photos don't show it up so well but the results are quite good. I used the lighter shade as a base and the darker shade was applied by brush for the effect of streaked mossy grime build up from extended periods in the sidings.

View attachment 87729

View attachment 87730

image.jpg

image.jpg