Rick's Raspberry Ripple BAe Hawk

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice Rick. I'm going to struggle to get much model time before Christmas and New Years...

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
After a second coat of blue the masking was removed......some minor areas needing easy fixes but one bigger area has the paint peeling off to the base material....hmm!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Yes, it's in such an awkward spot too, any ideas on fixing it?
I would try masking off the red and the panel line above and the edges of the two small panels as a straight edge then with the finest grit sanding stick or even better the polishing stick sand just around the damaged part until smooth then re-prime that part then paint white again.

Last edited by a moderator:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
I would try masking off the red then with the finest grit sanding stick or even better the polishing stick sand just around the damaged part until smooth then re-prime that part then paint white again.
That's what I was thinking. I might end up doing all of the upper fuselage white because I managed to get a blue thumb print on it too.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I masked, feathered back then re-masked this area before priming and painting again to get to this stage. Some more coats of white maybe but there will be a roundel in this area.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The anti-glare panel has also been done but it's not quite square.

image.jpeg

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
The wheels that come with this kit are awful, what's that massive rib about? So I splashed on a resin set, here they are painted and ready to fit when dry and removed from the casting block.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Well it's fair to say this won't be finished by tomorrow night, but I am at the varnishing stage so not that far from the finish line. The touch up to the paint was a success and as an added bonus the fuselage roundels from the Xtradecal sheet has a white disc to affix before the RWB so that should go some way to hide one of the blemishes.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice Rick. Happy New Year mate, we're going to have late Hawks but they'll make great starts to the year :smiling3:

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
\ said:
Nice Rick. Happy New Year mate, we're going to have late Hawks but they'll make great starts to the year :smiling3:
Thanks Joe, and Happy New Year to you too. I'm pleased to hear you're still plodding along with your Hawk and I look forward to seeing it completed.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Decals, yay! Just the RAF, serials and ETPS marking tonight, I may varnish these before doing the stencils.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The fuselage roundel has a white backing disc before the roundel proper is applied, there was a bit of red showing through on the white disc but with the roundel applied it is not noticeable. The upper wing roundels have thrown up a problem with one of the vortex generators requiring the decal to be cut and touch up with paint needed, hence my idea on applying a coat of varnish before doing any further decals etc.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That looks very good Rick. The Raspberry Ripple scheme really makes the Hawk look smart.

rickoshea52

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Only reporting that I haven't made any progress with this. I was laid low with food poisoning followed by trips away to Filton and Toulouse. I was hoping to get some modelling time this weekend to catch up but I am going away again for another week, at least, to Addis Ababa. That's three weekends on the bounce away from home and the workbench - pretty frustrating when this build should have been completed by new year. Now you all know why it takes me an age to build anything!